𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

➶

The next day rolled around and Sam decided to have a meeting first in his backyard before assigning shifts. Ivanna was partially listening as she was still thinking about last night and how she basically chose her friends over her mother, but to Ivanna, they were becoming more like family instead.

"Excellent. If the redhead is after Bella, we've got bait." Jared comments as he goes to sit down at the picnic table where everyone was but gets distracted by Jacob throwing a four-pronged spading fork from some garden tools at his head, but he easily catches it.

Ivanna placed the last dish of food down in front of the boys, and Bella, before they started digging in.

"She is not bait." Jacob growled at him in anger to which Ivanna had to suppress rolling her eyes.  Sam noticed the tension between the two so he reached for her, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her down to sit on his lap.

"What's gotten into you?" She looked down at him, resting her arm behind his shoulders and smiled as she was enjoying this new affection he was showing.

"I just want you close to me," he mumbled to Ivanna so the others wouldn't make fun and embarrass her as he placed small kisses over her face, making her laugh in bliss.

"I should leave town." Bella spoke up finally, which gained everyone's attention.

"You doing that will only make Victoria follow you and harder for us to catch her." Sam told her in his leader voice, tightening his hold around the girl in his arms.

"No one can catch her, she can escape anything," Bella continued, trying to make it seem as if the vampires were so special that they could live unscathed by anyone.

"Ooh. She has special powers." Paul remarked with a smirk, finding it amusing the way she talks about them.

"Some of them do." She mutters which they all hear, making Ivanna sigh and grab a roll off the table, tearing it apart as she stuffed a piece into her mouth. She was tired of hearing about the vampires and how "special" they are.

"Like...what? Bella?" Jacob walks closer to her, upset that he wasn't already told about it before.

"The mind reader you said you knew. He was a suckhead? Can they all do that?" Jared pointed the bone of his eaten chicken leg at her which made Bella slightly cringe in disgust.

"That would blow." Embry comments as he places his feet up on the other side of the bench.

"No, I shouldn't have-no," Bella stammers over her words as she regrets telling them about it, as if she betrayed the Cullens by revealing their secrets to the enemy.