25: Light within the smoke

Ryujin's POV

"I'll pay for the damages and bring back your scholarship." Lay offered again. I shook my head and looked far outside.

"Then I'll pay someone to kick Yeonjun out,"

That made me chuckle.

"Lay oppa, I'll accept that help but not for that university."

He stopped the car and leaned in to listen.

"I want to borrow a huge money for my sister's surgery."

He looked surprised.

"I know you want us back together but it's never gonna happen. M-maybe not this time."

"Nevermind, it's okay if you won't let me borro--"

"Okay. I'll wait for you two." i chuckled. I find it funny that he's so supportive and he'll say things like that.

"I'll pay for the whole surgery. Like pay it." he even emphasized it.

"Lay oppa-"

"No buts." he gave me a genuine smile enough to make me tear up.

"I'll repay you...o-okay?" i sniffled.

"I said no. If you do, I'll have to bring you to jail." he said seriously.

What?

--+--

Today's Yuna's surgery. I'm outside a convenience store near the hospital blowing smoke. I promised myself that this will be the last time.

Mom was so happy when i told her about the surgery. She wanted to come but couldn't due to work. She then told us something we've been wishing for years. To be together. We'd be staying with her for good.

Yuna will need more than a week to heal and months before she could finally do things again normally.

I turned on my phone when it vibrated from a call from Yeji. I just let it and didn't bother to answer. I've seen her with Yeonjun at school last time and i guess she's doing well. I went back to that university to get my things and to say goodbye to Karina and Giselle.

I told Karina to not tell Yeji anything about us leaving the country soon though she didn't know when. It's better this way. I'll be gone and they won't care.

Lay also stopped pushing us two together but sometimes he'll just, "I hate you for giving up easily." and i just ignore him because he's right. I hate me too.

Almost 2 weeks have passed and the doctor let Yuna fly to another country. Lay said he'll help with the transfer of Yuna to another hospital in London for her continuous recovery.

I didn't know how to thank Lay personally so i left him a letter. Words aren't enough to thank him and I'm not good at words- so I'm really embarrassed. Yuna also handed me two envelopes and told me to give it to Lay and Yeji.

"Too bad i still can't see Yeji unnie." she pouted at me.

"Yuna when you're fully recovered, go back here and I'll let you two meet," Lay suggested and Yuna automatically smiled.

"Since your unnie here doesn't want to." Lay teased me.

"Aish! These two would be back together i just know it!" Yuna exclaimed and even high five with Lay.

"Brother and Sister in law approved!"

Oh well I don't know what to do with them.

"Thank you, Lay oppa." i bowed as low as i could handing the letters.

Yuna decided to give the letter to inang when she arrived here to say goodbye. I hugged her tight and thanked her for everything. I was so cold towards her back then.

"Lay oppa, I'll send the payment when i get to work at a big-ass company okay?" i said, determined.

"JAIL!"

And with all that, i left the country where i grew up. Everything about me is here and I'm ready to leave it all. As i looked down the ocean, all i could think is what i said to Yeji the last time. I just broke it all by leaving.

--+--

Yeji's POV

"Yeji please come out," I heard Lia started knocking on my door again.

The girls have been here for almost an hour trying to invite me out. It's almost lunch time.

I felt guilty so I stood up and opened the door for them. They all immediately jumped to me for a hug.

"Ah-Ouch!" Chaeryeong reacted so we all got shocked.

"Heyyyyy," Karina sweetly called me.

I gave her a faint smile. She hugged me tight again. I felt like crying but i guess my tears ran out already. My body is heavy and i just feel like sleeping but in fact, I've been asleep for too much.

"Do you want to go somewhere? We could stay here with you," Chaeryeong asked.

"Take me outside," i responded to them. They all looked excited but still worried at the same time.

I just told myself i need to go outside to lessen the heaviness i feel in my system. Staying in my room won't do anything. Sometimes life really hits us with everything in a day, in hours and even minutes.

"Let's go~"

--+--

We went to an amusement park. I used to feel so excited to ride all the extreme ones but i really don't have the energy today. But of course, they're trying their best to cheer me up.

We are waiting in the line and touched something inside my pocket. That's when i remembered the envelope Yuna gave me. I'm wearing the same coat I wore a week ago.

I opened it fast and not minding my friends questions.

To Yeji unnie,

Hi unnie. I'm about to undergo surgery so I'm just letting you know. I'm so happy! I really want to see you soon but Ryujinnie said it'll take months and we're leaving. I want to say more but I'm having a hard time writing.
..

I hope we see you once again, Yeji unnie. Oh I'd cry! But Ryujinnie will cry more hehehehehe~

-ur sis in law, Shinnayu

She still wrote everything well and it's heartfelt. For the first time since everything, i smiled again. I didn't cry at all. I put the letter on my chest and took a deep breath.

"Hey, you okay?" Lia went to me.

"Mmhm,"

I haven't lost them.