Neteyam

Tuk had climbed down from Lo'ak's shoulders to hold Neteyam's hand as they filed into Tsireya's home. "Holy shit," he heard Kiri whisper behind him. He hid his grin with his hand, looking around him. Their house had a foyer. An actual foyer, with a grand staircase. "Take off your shoes," Reya commanded, pointing to a large wooden shelf in the corner. "So, uh, Tsireya," he began. "My mother is a surgeon," she interrupted, seeming to already know his question. "Ah," Neteyam nodded. "Well, where else does the money come from?" Kiri questioned. "Because standing in here makes me feel like I should start scrubbing the marble floors with a toothbrush." Lo'ak snorted. "No offense, Reya," Neteyam said quickly, shooting Kiri a glare. As if on queue, a woman with the same hair texture and eye color as Tsireya swept down the stairs, tying her hair back as she went. She must be Reya's mother. They had the same dimpled cheeks and curly hair, but the woman had streaks of silver swirled into her jet black locks. Her scrubs barely disguised her pregnant stomach. "Hi, Mama," Tsireya said, smiling. "These are my new friends! They moved here from Egypt," she exclaimed, looking over her shoulder at them. Lo'ak winced and tucked his hands into his pockets, looking at the floor. Neteyam ran a hand through his braids, hoping he didn't look as exhausted as he felt. The woman smiled warmly at them. "Welcome, guys. No need to scrub the floors, child," she said, laughing lightly. Kiri shuffled nervously beside him. "The rest of the money comes from my husband. You'll meet him later," she said, unintentionally ominous. Her brow furrowed as she did a quick headcount. "Where's Ao?" she asked, looking to her daughter. "Nalu," Rotxo offered, standing with his hands folded behind his back. "He missed daybreakers." Her eyes softened. "Oh, hello Rotxo, how are you?" she said, descending the rest of the way down the stairs and enveloping him into a hug. "Hi, Dr. Kogoya," he murmured, gingerly hugging her back. "I've told you, son, you may call me Ronal. There is no need." She touched the tip of her nose to Tsireya's, both closing their eyes for a brief moment. Tsireya pressed her palm to her mother's stomach. "I've got to go, sweet child," She said, smiling. "Be safe. Be good," she warned, eyes squinted in mock strictness. "Bye, Mama," she said, waving softly as Dr. Kogoya exited through the massive double doors. Tsireya turned down a corridor, the rest of them trailing behind her.

Their kitchen was equally as magnificent, but Neteyam was surprised by how lived in it looked. There were pictures of Ao'nung and Tsireya as children on the fridge - a toddler Ao'nung carrying a surfboard easily 3 times his height, an infant Tsireya on the shoulders of a massive man, with height and facial structure so distinct he had to be Ao'nung's father. Spoons and a bowl were in the sink. A forgotten half-eaten sandwich sat on a cutting board. Rotxo discreetly grabbed it and tossed it in the trash, glancing around to see if anyone had seen him. He grinned at Neteyam's stare. "I made it this morning before school. Guess I forgot to bring it," he shrugged. "Rotxo, do you live here?" Lo'ak asked, pointing to a picture of Ao'nung and Rotxo when they were about Tuk's age, both in swimsuits and hoisting a large trophy over their heads. "Are you related to them?" Kiri added, gazing at Rotxo in amusement. "Related? No. Live here? Basically," Tsireya said, laughing. "I live with my grandparents," Rotxo explained. "They're getting older, obviously, so I just kinda stay here sometimes." His face was surprisingly serious. Neteyam nodded thoughtfully. "You give off that 'raised by grandparents' vibe," Lo'ak said. "Lo'ak Sully!" Kiri shouted, slapping her brother on the back of the head. "Hey! It's a complement! All of the coolest people have lived with their grandparents at one time or another," he complained, looking nervously at Rotxo. He laughed, nodding in agreement. Tsireya climbed onto the counter, reaching into the cabinet above her. Neteyam felt himself panic and went to steady her, bracing his hand on the back of her knee. She looked down at him in confusion. "Oh, sorry, big brother habit," he said awkwardly, removing his hand and laughing. "I bet," Tsireya grinned, pointing to Tuk, who was crawling on all fours under the dining table. "Tuk!" Neteyam hissed, reaching for her leg. He dragged her across their fine carpet, gritting his teeth. "There was a cat," she whined. Neteyam looked under the table. No cat to be found. "Uh huh," he murmured suspiciously. "Ao'nung's cat," Tsireya called, jumping to the floor, making the china plates in the class cupboards rattle. "She only likes him. She'll probably come out when he comes home." She asked Lo'ak to grab a ceramic bowl from her from a higher up shelf. Neteyam looked Tuk close in the eye. "Please be on your best behavior. Don't do anything you wouldn't do if Mama was here," he pleaded. She nodded, beads clinking together. Rotxo pulled a stool to the counter. "A throne for Queen Tuk," he said, bowing low to the ground in a grand gesture. Tuk squealed and clambered gracelessly onto the seat, peering into the bowl.