Tsireya

Tsireya's usual tasks during her fourth period included making copies, depositing mail into the teacher's mailboxes, organizing attendance files, and manning the front desk. Most of her time was occupied by simply sitting and waiting for someone to give her a job to do. This was what she was doing when one of the hallway monitors came into the front office today. This was not rare. Tsireya didn't bother looking up from her computer. That was, until the hall monitor rang the little bell that sat on the edge of her desk. She looked up into the face of Lyle Wainfleet and felt her breath die in her lungs.

"Back up," she said suddenly, holding her hands up in front of her. He lurched back, mimicking her alarmed expression. "How can I help you?" she said quickly, putting on her best fake smile. "I just wanted to check in on you," he shrugged. "It's been a while. You've grown up." Tsireya sighed. "Listen, I don't have time to talk-" "Because you're so busy here?" He looked around the empty office and scoffed. "Yeah, right." Tsireya felt her face becoming hot with anger. There was a pause. Lyle shoved his hands into his pockets. "Are you doing swim?" Tsireya had switched her focus back to her computer. She didn't bother to look up at him to respond. "Of course I'm doing swim." "Cmon, Reya, not even a smile?" "No." She heard him grunt in surprise. She heard him take a step towards the exit and hesitate. "Shame," he muttered, before opening the door and slamming it behind him.

ao:

(tsireya) lyle came and said hi to me today
(tsireya) in the front office
(tsireya) it was really awful

(ao) actually?
(ao) rotxo and i have been talking about not letting him on the team regardless of how good he swims

(tsireya) i don't want to say that would be for the best because it's unfair but he really freaks me out

(ao) it's not unfair for you to want that
(ao) at all
(ao) i promise

Someone was lurking outside the door. Tsireya could see them in her peripheral vision. She grimaced, expecting it to be Lyle. Slowly, she looked up. It was Lo'ak, holding the straps of his backpack with both hands and was smiling nervously at her. 'The door is locked,' he mouthed. Tsireya grinned, getting up to go open it. "Sorry," she whispered, looking up at him. He hesitated, looking down at her. After a brief pause, he smiled. "It's okay," he answered, eyes darting rapidly around her face. "I, uh, was wondering if you have any more..." he pursed his lips. "If you have any more food. In here. That I could have." She nodded, leading him back behind the desk. "Here. Hold my spot. I'll go get you some stuff."

Tsireya left Lo'ak in her seat and went into the guidance counselor's office. It was empty. Tsireya snagged a bag of unpopped popcorn and a pack of peanut butter crackers from the bin on top of her mini fridge. She started microwaving the popcorn and ran the crackers back to Lo'ak. She went back to her desk and froze. Lo'ak was standing up behind the counter, looking down at Lyle, who had apparently decided to make another visit. Lyle had that stupid grin on his face. Lo'ak's jaw was set. He looked up as she entered, the look of anger on face replaced with one of embarrassment. He quickly returned to his seat, turning his back on Lyle.

"I'm sorry, Reya," he whispered as she approached. Without responding, she handed him the pack of crackers. She walked up to Lyle, watching his smile falter in confusion. "I need you to leave me alone," she whispered. "And leave my brother and my friends alone, too. We don't like you, Lyle. We didn't like you years ago, and we don't like you now." She kept her voice level and calm, despite the frustration she felt. "Just please leave me alone." He scoffed and shoved past her, headed for the door.

She saw Lo'ak instantly get to his feet and take a step in her direction. Lyle turned back to her, gesturing out the door. "Jesus fucking christ, Tsireya. Did you call the whole army?" Ao'nung stood just outside the door. Tsireya grinned. "Open the door, Lyle," Lo'ak called, laughter in his voice. Ao'nung opened the door for him. "Did you just shove my sister?" Ao'nung stared down at him, smiling slightly in disbelief. "Did you really just- no. I must have seen it wrong. Lo'ak, did he actually just shove my sister?" "I think he did, Ao'nung. I saw him shoulder check her pretty hard." Lyle scoffed. "Sorry. Didn't mean to." Ao'nung laughed sarcastically, throwing his hands up in pretend relief. "Oh, good. Lo'ak, he didn't mean to. Good! I would have hated for you to have shoved my little sister on purpose." Ao'nung grinned. "Come on, Lyle. Time for you to go." He grabbed the boy by the shoulder and steered him out of the door, waving sarcastically to his sister as he went.

Tsireya snorted and went to retrieve Lo'ak's popcorn. "I'm sorry about all of that," she mumbled, handing him the bag. "What? Why are you sorry?" He took the bag and sat cross-legged behind her desk. "None of that was your fault." She shrugged. "I texted Ao'nung to come help when you went to talk to him. I hope that wasn't overstepping. I just used to get into trouble for fighting a lot at my old school." Tsireya saw the embarrassment on his face as he admitted that. She smiled softly at him. "That was a good call. Thank you." he shrugged, looking down at the ground. "Did he say anything to you?" Lo'ak shook his head. "Just some shit about swim. Said I wasn't built right for it. He's got some weird ass insults, I'll give him that. Very creative."

Tsireya smiled. "It's funny that you're sitting behind my desk," she commented, gazing down at him. "Is it? I'll move, if you want-" She shook her head. "No. I like you nearby." He looked up at her, directly into her eyes. She felt her face flush. "But, when you get done with that, you have to get back to class. I don't want you to fail econ." He nodded, smiling so big that his eyes nearly disappeared into his cheeks.

" He nodded, smiling so big that his eyes nearly disappeared into his cheeks

miss reya 🧎‍♀️