Neteyam

Neteyam's phone rang. Ao'nung was calling him.

N: "Hello?"

A: "Hi, Teyam,"

Neteyam blinked. Ao'nung's voice was deep and raspy over the phone. He sounded drowsy, like he had just woken up. A silence fell.

A: "Are you there?"

N: "Yeah, yeah, I'm here, what's up?"

Ao'nung giggled. He really giggled. Neteyam imagined him twirling a strand of hair around his finger and grinned to himself.

A: "Whatcha doing?"

N: "I'm in Lo'ak's room. We were watching a movie, but he fell asleep."

A: "What movie?"

Neteyam laughed.

N: "Moana."

A: "No way! That's Reya's favorite movie, like, ever."

N: "That's what Lo'ak said. I think that's why we're watching it."

Neteyam heard what sounded like the rush of wind of a car driving by. He blinked.

N: "Ao, where are you?"

A: "Outside."

He giggled again.

N: "Outside?"

A: "Yeah. Oli brought this girl to Jack's, and she looked like Reya, kinda, and- and they made me drink this horrible, like, mix of a whole bunch of shit that honestly, might have just been straight nail polish remover, and..."

He trailed off. Neteyam didn't know who Oli or Jack were, or where they lived, but he knew Ao'nung was sitting alone, outside, clearly intoxicated.

N: "Where are you?"

A: "Outside."

N: "No, I know, but like- address?"

A: "Jack's house?"

Neteyam gritted his teeth.

N: "You have an iPhone, right? Share your location with me."

Ao'nung gasped.

A: "Are you going to come rescue me, Tey? Awwwwww, really?"

Neteyam grinned, shaking his head slowly. Ao'nung was clearly very, very out of it.

N: "If you tell me where you are, yes, I will."

Ao'nung laughed excitedly. His voice was far away, meaning he was holding his phone away from his face.

A: "I did it. Did it work?"

N: "Mhm, yeah. I'll be there in, like, ten minutes. Stay put, please."

A: "I will stay right here. Drive- drive safe, Teyam."

He elongated the "m" in Neteyam's name. He could hear the smile on Ao'nung's face over the phone.

Neteyam didn't know how long Ao'nung had been sitting out there. His hands were cold around Neteyam's waist. He could feel the chill through the thin fabric of his sleep shirt. Ao'nung had instantly jumped in Neteyam's car, hugging him. "Put your seatbelt on," Neteyam whispered, gently removing Ao'nung's arms from around his waist. "No," he grumbled, shaking his head. "No, I won't." Neteyam shut the door behind him, making sure none of the people he had been with were watching. If they were, he couldn't see them. He got Ao'nung's seatbelt on as best he could with Ao'nung's head on his lap. He sighed, deciding the drive was short enough for this to be safe.