Neteyam

this one is so long. idc. i have so much to say.

Ao'nung wasn't in econ. Neteyam wasn't aware how much of a comfort his presence was until he was gone. Their table felt impossibly large and empty with just him and Kiri to fill the seats. He felt guilt settle in his chest, making it difficult to breathe. He should have stepped away. He should have considered Ao'nung's feelings more. 'I should have stepped away. I should have stepped away.' That thought echoed in his mind, so loud and angry it drowned out everything else around him. He stared at his paper, lips pressed together. He should have stepped away. But how could he? How could he have pulled himself back from Ao'nung's eyes, looking up at him like that? So full of curiosity and questions that only Neteyam could answer. He felt so deeply guilty. He should have known better. Ao'nung didn't even like boys. Why did Neteyam think that he would be his exception? The one to make him realize? He didn't know how to apologize. He didn't even know where he would start if he tried. 'Hey bro, sorry I almost kissed you in a school library. That was really weird of me. So excited for swim season!' Neteyam groaned to himself, rubbing his face hard with both hands. Spider had taken Ao'nung's seat. Neteyam didn't bother telling him to move.

    The drive home was a quiet one. He was thankful that his siblings had the sense to not try to make conversation with him. The two of them sat with their eyes glued to their phones as they waited for Tuk to come to the pick-up line. When she did, the first words out of her mouth were "Mr. Ao wasn't here today. Is he okay?" Kiri answered her, something about a stomach ache. Neteyam scoffed quietly. Stomach ache. Yeah. He swallowed the feeling of panic that created a lump in his throat. Ao'nung had missed his internship as well. And Neteyam knew why. He felt so indescribably guilty. He drove home perhaps a little too fast, desperate to be alone. He stayed in his car after his siblings got out, thinking. Should he call him? He wanted to. He wanted to hear Ao'nung's laugh, a confirmation that Neteyam didn't completely ruin whatever friendship was growing between the two of them. He knew he couldn't. Ao'nung wouldn't even answer, most likely. It had started to rain. Neteyam's hair got soaked on his way inside. Tuk gave him a hug when he walked by the kitchen, smiling up at him. He hugged her back, bending over to put his chin on her small shoulder. "Thank you, Tuktuk," he whispered, kissing her cheek as she grinned.

    He locked his bedroom door after him. He pulled out his phone, texting Tsireya for help.

Tsireya Kogoya:

(neteyam) Hi. I think I'm the reason Ao'nung was in such a bad mood. Could you just let me if he made it home okay? Tuk said he wasn't there in her class today.

(Tsireya) he arrived at home about 30 minutes after lunch ended.

(neteyam) Really? That's good. Thank you

(Tsireya) :)

    Neteyam debated texting Ao'nung for a solid 20 minutes, typing and deleting and retyping a message. He wanted to apologize. He wanted to let him know he was missed by Tuk and her class. He wanted to tell Ao'nung that if he wanted, he would pretend like nothing happened. Because, in reality, nothing really happened. Neteyam was most likely exaggerating it to a much larger scale than Ao'nung saw it. After a good bit of worrying, Neteyam decided to text him something simple.

Ao'nung Kogoya:

(Neteyam) Tuk said she didn't see you today
(Neteyam) I'm sorry. Hope everything is okay. I took notes in econ for you.

    He threw his phone across his bed after hitting send, groaning and rolling himself into a ball. His phone vibrated. Neteyam instantly snatched it up, reading Ao'nung's message as if it were ice water and he was dying of thirst.