6. Nicknames and care

"Birdie," He nodded and moved back to scrolling through the phone.

"Mr. Malhotra, it's Kuhoo," She sighed walking into the lift. It was Friday, almost a week to that embarrassing incident. Kuhoo tried to not think of it, the workload anyways didn't bestow her with the luxury of peaceful time when she could let her thoughts wonder mindlessly for hours. Facing him the next day was difficult. They hadn't exchanged any pleasantries that day. On Wednesday he had smiled at her and she had somehow called him 'Mr. Malhotra'. The innocent attempt to blow away tension in her own mind had turned the tables as he started with the game of nicknames thereafter.

It wasn't that bad. Unlike her mind, she hadn't practically called him a paedophile that evening, had she? But he decided on getting back at her in a pathetically ill manner. Every day, a different name. Every single day. She didn't give him the satisfaction of getting on her nerves though, but 'Kuhoo' was a beautiful name given by her great grandfather, Mahil was no one to play with it all the time.

"Isn't that what Kuhoo means? Let me show you," He typed something on the phone and grinned turning it to my side, "See, Kuhoo means a bird."

"I understand that you and google translater got the same IQ, unfortunately my brain isn't imbecile enough to regard you both," She pressed the lips in a thin line.

"Excuse me?"

"Of course, that stupid application mindlessly translates words with no understanding of the context, situation, and statements. And people like you grab it without knowing the correct use of words. Imbecile, that's what I call it," She exhaled.

"How dare you?" He glared taking dangerous steps in her direction. Kuhoo tried to move back but giving to the small space of the elevator, her back soon collided with the metal wall.

"Mr. Malhotra, I -" She took a sharp breath on realizing he was just an inch away, arms slamming on the wall by both her sides, face blazing with rage, teeth clenched, eyes narrowing at her foul attempt to say something.

"You just called me an idiot," He breathed the same air as her.

"I... I didn't mean it."

Kuhoo stared at the roof of the lift, and then her gaze moved to the left side. Her orbs widened as the huge mirror showed their reflections together. He was in plain black joggers and jacket, a pair of white sneakers, grey wireless earphones, his jet black hair, wet and messy probably after some heavy exercise, his skin, a mixture of oil and sweat. She, on the other hand, was wearing a white top paired with blue jeans, hair perfectly set in a bun, not leaving a single rebellious strand to roam free, with skin fresh and smooth.

Noticing her lack of attention, he turned in the same direction. Mahil's lips curved in a smile. Did she appear more beautiful in the mirror or was it the site of them together?

She looked away as his eyes met hers through the reflection. Sensing her awkwardness, he was about to withdraw his hands when she pushed him in a swift movement and he landed on the floor.

"Ouch, you madwoman. You could just ask me to move, what was the need of this special treatment?" He pouted and stood back slowly taking support of the rod on the adjoining wall.

"I don't have time for this drama, Mr. Malhotra," She glanced at her watch.

"Fine," He rolled the eyes and walked out of the elevator. As she pressed the ground floor button, he shouted, "We'll continue later, Koyal."

Mahil turned on the heels and laughed on hearing her groan.

-*-*-*-

Kuhoo let out an exasperated sigh as she reached her floor. Thankfully, she hadn't encountered the annoying neighbour Friday evening and the Saturday morning as well, probably because she came late and went early for the hospital. Accident cases used to be more near weekends. Moreover, other two senior residents had taken a day off on Saturday and she had to fill in for them. It took her some three hours more than the usual time to reach home. Tired. Drained. Exhausted. She was those words, literal meaning of them. Oh, how she wished her mother to be waiting on the other side with a warm welcoming smile and a delicious home-made food, ready to serve the moment she would change into some comfortable clothes.