19. The offer

Kuhoo :

Opening the wardrobe, I stared at the neatly arranged clothes and sighed on not finding a suitable piece for the sangeet. But then again, I hadn't attended any such functions in last three years. There were a lot of things I left behind when I came here, one of them being those lovely sarees, churidaars and lehengas, tons of them which I had bought thinking I was to be a part of another household. Not that again. Did I even want to be anywhere close to things like marriages anymore?

Ring of my cell pulled me out of those thoughts and I smiled looking at Eli's number flashing on the screen. "Hello," I yawned holding a long top, feeling for its soft fabric with my fingers.

"Woah, sleepyhead. Why aren't you sounding like the usual fresh daisy? The one on your normal Sundays," Eli quizzed.

"Looking for a desi outfit darling, wanna suggest me something?" I explained.

She hummed, "Where to?"

"Oh right, I forgot to tell you. Guess who is here?" I chirped.

"Certainly someone who has managed to get you excited. What is it though? Today is no festival. Are you going somewhere? Have you been hanging around with that neighbor?" The inquisitive woman asked.

"His name is Mahil," I said in a sing-a-song manner.

"A name you sound too comfortable with," She chuckled making me roll the eyes.

"I need to see this man. How is he doing this? I mean, you are making efforts to look beautiful for him, implausible," She blabbered.

"Wait. Wait. Wait. What are you talking about? It's nothing of that sort," I gasped. When did I give her any such signal to think that way?

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Anyways, I was looking for a nice outfit for Rahul's sangeet. He is here," I started spreading the clothes on the bed one by one.

"Rahul who? Rahul Bhalla? Told ya, that man was filthy rich. A god-damn wedding in Chicago. I wish for a nice private destination wedding, too. But Vihaan and his family want a proper big fat Indian wedding; they want to invite all his teammates, seniors, juniors. Man, my wedding is going to be a military affair. And his relatives, these people now suddenly had an awakening that they should the get Kundalis matched. I mean seriously? Kuhoo, can you do that for me? I don't trust these local pandits. And given to the fact that it was Vihaan's chachi's idea who probably doesn't seem to be okay with a civilian daughter-in-law, I don't wish for her to handle the matter, so I took it upon myself. We love each other. We were about to finalize the dates for this engagement but this woman wants to match Kundalis," She complained through the phone.

"Is that you fretting over your own wedding preparations? Man, my bestie has grown up. A piece of advice darling, keep these pre-wedding jitters for the D-day," I chortled.

She huffed, "Shut up, you don't get it. That woman is wicked in her mind. And why should I go to anyone else if I have you? Kuhoo, please look into these Kundlis I have sent you."

"Ask papa na," I proposed.

"I haven't been in touch with Chaturvedi uncle since you left. Wasn't sure how they would react." She said from the other side.

"I have stopped looki -"

She interrupted before I could complete, "It's me. Do it for me, please. I trust you and it's like the area of your expertise."

I sighed, "A surgeon who knows how to read Kundlis, Adi used to laugh thinking about it."

Eli said, "How can I forget, that day when you wanted to match them on your own, he had called me saying my best friend had totally lost it. He told your Dadi and she didn't allow you. That woman is scary, I swear."