32. Expect the unexpected

South Mumbai: Monday, 8: 12 AM

Days in Bharadwaj Institute of Medical Sciences usually started at nine for final year students, lazily sauntering through corridors, chuckling among themselves about anything and everything. But after the Diwali holidays ever since the new Medicine HOD joined in, he had been changing the rules.

God knew what the sick man desired by destroying their sweet early morning sleep. Neeta tugged at her sack which contained a single register, pen and her dearest iPad. Rushing in the direction of e-lecture hall she mentally cursed the man. He probably was resting in his warm bed making them all run around to the institute an hour earlier than their usual schedule for she had never seen him conducting a lecture himself.

Reaching the third floor, she huffed looking at the closed door. She was only twelve minutes late, what was wrong with Mr. Deshmukh. Straightening her hair she, gathered some courage to slide the door, being the brightest student of her batch.

"And this is how an infarct looks like on MRI. When such a patient comes, you should first suspect- The door had been closed purposely, young lady. I do not entertainment later comers in my class." Neeta hadn't expected someone this charming in her fat professor's place. It was difficult to tear her eyes off him; she hadn't seen a man looking so handsome in simple black formals.

"I'm sorry, sir. I got late." She whispered timidly.

Displeased, the man shook his head, "As growing doctors you should learn to respect time. If we haven't been able to inculcate this basic etiquette in our students yet, the institute has failed. Do not waste my time. You may leave."

Neeta's eyes balled out listening to those words. Was he asking her to get out of the class? She out of all the people? Her gaze moved to Arush for a moment. He was already looking at her with sympathetic eyes.

Placing the power point remote on top of podium, the young professor folded his arms, "Did you not hear me? I said get-"

"Neeta lives in one of the farther suburbs, sir. She must have lost a local," Arush interfered.

The man shot him a pointed glare, "When did I ask you to elaborate me on her personal problems? Mr.-"

"Aa... Arush." The boy stood at his place.

"Sit down, kid. Keep your brewing romance outside my classroom." Embarrassed, Arush quickly sat down.

The new lecturer then turned towards Neeta who stared at floor beneath, "And you, young lady, this is your first time. I'll cut you some slack. Answer the questions and walk inside. If you miss out even a single one, then get out before I decide to mark you absent for the next five days. Question one, antidote used for OP poisoning?"

She glanced at him meekly, "Pra... Pralidoxime."

Pursing the lips he asked, "First step in the management of tension pneumothorax?"

"Needle thoracocentesis." She answered immediately.

"Location?" He raised one eyebrow.

"Fifth intercostal space, mid axillary line."

"Treatment of choice in a hemodynamically unstable patient of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?" The lecturer smirked.

"Paroxysmal su- what? What the fuck is wrong with this man?" Arush mumbled under his breath looking at Sasha sitting beside him.

"I heard that Arush. And I will remember that while taking your viva next time." The man had rabbit ears.

"Fuck man," The kid muttered staring at his small register.