23. Like couples?

Kuhoo :

"Here you go. I apologize for the inconvenience, darling. The kid who delivered your outfits was new and accidentally misplaced two different orders. The other customer called me this morning, she'll be here anytime." Mrs. Singhal smiled apologetically.

Nodding at the woman, I scanned through different clothes on display. There was this really beautiful Lilac saree with royal blue-golden borders, intricate designs of peacocks at its loose end and my mind immediately went back to Eli. She always had a thing for different shades of purple. I was certain that girl was here she would buy it in a second and that's exactly what I did.

"Can you show me that saree, the lilac one?" I asked.

"This ma'am?" One of the workers wearing their usual outfit asked, pointed at another similar shade.

"No. A little left," I directed.

"A little lower," I shook my head as she brushed her fingers on a fuchsia pink cloth.

Grabbing the saree, she asked, "Should I unfold it for you?"

"Yes, please."

Resting the cloth on the palm, I slid my fingers on its material, a smile braced my lips realizing the mesmerizingly glossy surface wasn't just all about shine, it was smooth, too. I was right. This saree, it was a must buy, would really suit Eli.

I already had multiple clothes for her. Because whenever I got warm sweatshirts or trench coats, even mufflers, long boots, I ended up buying two pairs. They were still lying in my closet, carefully wrapped for the day we would meet.

Well, buying one more wouldn't be any harm. The woman was getting married soon, I had to think of a phenomenal gift for her or she would eat my brains for life complaining about the same.

"Beautiful, it would enhance the glow of your skin. You should buy it," Mrs. Singhal encouraged.

I chuckled, "It's not for me but a friend of mine."

"Oh, sorry again. I seem to assume things at times."

"It's fine."

"No, I really am ashamed for the other day too, honey. It's just that I have known Mahil for years now. He used to get clothes from our other branch for his performances, too. I was really fond of the boy. I still remember, one day he had stepped in the store and he was so enamored of a sea-green design on this mannequin. He had stopped for some ten long minutes at the same place as if captivated by it. 'I can imagine her wearing this, holding my hand he had whispered.' He probably thought nobody heard it."

"He did what?" I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

She nodded, "I remember teasing him a lot that day. He looked flustered and won't tell me whether he was in a relationship. As I was so fond of him, I even proposed an alliance between him and this daughter of one of my far relatives who stay here. But he straightforward denied the moment he listened to the same. He would rarely visit our place after that. When you both walked in, my mind reckoned that you were together."

"Oh." I straightened my hair awkwardly.

"I don't understand how I made such a mistake. My brain is usually good at spotting a couple you see, especially predicting whether they would buy one of these expensive pairs or not." Mrs. Singhal joked pointing at a series of color-coded outfits.

I chuckled, "Certainly, it requires a lot to be a good salesperson."

"Oh humor me. I have seen people walking out empty handed after spending hours at this place and also the ones who step in, make a decision, and pay the next second."