30. Because I need to say it

Mahil :

The priest asked Rahul and Riya to get up for pheras. He got up first and then forwarded his hand for her support. She looked at him, he smiled and it reflected on her face. It was as if they had forgotten that others were also present at the venue for attending their wedding.

The venue, it was beautiful. I could see every skyscraper of the Avenue through glass walls of this magnificent wedding hall from one end, meanwhile on other side laid Lake Michigan. It must cost a fortune to arrange a grand wedding with so many guests at this place. Number of people attending the sangeet was handful in comparison to that of the D-day.

"You know why they perform seven pheras?" Kuhoo whispered.

"To tie a bond of seven lives," I answered in an obvious tone.

"Watched too many Bollywood movies, Mahil?" She chuckled.

"You don't believe in it?" I frowned.

"I don't know. I have always been confused about the concept behind it. How many lives there actually are? What if it is my seventh life already? How would I know I'm marrying the person I took these seven vows with in my previous life? What if you end up marrying the wrong person? And why just seven though? Seven is an indivisible number, seven chakras in human body, seven seas, seven continents, all that is fine but it doesn't really clear my mind off the doubts," She expressed making me almost get a mind fog.

"Why can't you keep it simple? Why to complex it with so many factual questions? It's a tradition. Things that are bound to happen will happen. You can't spend your life doubting," I replied after contemplating for a while.

"I get it. I used to believe matches are made in heaven and all that romantic shit. But I doubt that now. It's you. You choose whom to stay with or whom to leave. But again there is कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते (Karmanye-vadhikaraste), " She said as the fourth phera began.

"Huh?" I looked at her perplexed.

"Bhagvad Gita?" Kuhoo tried to explain.

It clicked my mind that she was referring to one of the most well-known verses of Bhagvad Gita, "Oh, right. But then why did you believe in it earlier and what's the cause of these doubts now?"

"I thought you knew me better. Or is it that you want me to say it?" She threw me a displeased glance placing a hand on the side of her waist.

Did I forget to mention, she looked exquisitely elegant in that blue saree? Those curves, they could put shame to the surreal artworks of a wondrous sculptor. I was almost breathless when she showed up at my place in the afternoon. Guess what, she got me a brooch. Kuhoo called it a token of thanks and I accepted it as her first ever gift to me!

"You probably parted ways with him, because you were destined to meet me," I whispered inaudibly.

"What now?" She questioned.

I shook my head, "Just because you had one bad experience, you can't deny what the world believes in."

She nodded, "That's true. I get it, every story is different. But I would still like to look for the answers of my questions in hardcore ancient scriptures."

"You take your surname pretty seriously, I see." I chuckled.

She smiled. There was a childlike glee on her face. "I have been told. But what can I do? Being the successor of a well-known Sanskrit scholar, it's in my genes. I have only heard stories about him though."

I frowned.

Kuhoo continued, "My great grandfather. Since the pre-independence era, he had this gurukul kind of thing. Students would come from different states to learn Vedas from him. He also had immense knowledge of Ayurveda. I guess that's where my love for medicine originated from."