29. Mirror

Kuhoo :

Keeping our plates in the sink, I forwarded a glass of water to Mahil. He was unusually silent during breakfast, probably, because he couldn't get proper sleep.

When I woke up, he was on the foot end of bed in a fetal position. Although my room heater was on, I could see the cold was getting to him the way he had pulled his knees closer even in deep slumber. For once I thought of waking him up but ultimately dropped the idea after a few attempts and placed a spare comforter on his sleeping figure.

I meticulously turned off remaining two alarms on the cell but digital clock had skipped my mind. Later when I came to know that it wake him up, I felt guilty.

"Mahil? Take this, where are you lost?" I shook his shoulder lightly and he flinched stepping back.

"What happened? Are you hurt?" I asked worriedly.

"Nothing."

"Your shoulder? Did you get injured because of the skateboard last night?" I grew anxious recalling that those conmen had hit him.

Mahil's courteous actions so far were starting create a burden on my mind. How was I to pay him back?

"It's a small bruise," He shrugged but flinched, again.

"Are you sure? Do you need an ointment or anything?"

"No, it's not the bruise; my muscles have turned kind of sore. A warm bath should do. What time should I pick you up?" He asked reaching the door.

"Mahurat is at 1:12 pm. So, we should get going by twelve. You know what, you go home and relax. I'll pick you up today? Let us drive in my car. I have been taking too many free rides from you," I offered embarrassed.

He chuckled.

"I'm serious, Mahil."

"Fine then, see you around." He left giving me a curt nod.

How did he agree without a fight? He usually irritated me and wouldn't listen so easily, right? 'You guys are actually at a point where you fight like couples?' Eli's words rang in my mind. Was I really expecting him to fight back? What was wrong with me?

I stood silent; staring at where he stood a while back wondering what was going on when Mahil suddenly peaked through the door making me jump on my place.

"And Kuhoo, you look cute when you are embarrassed," He winked and I took a sharp breath. Before I could say anything he disappeared. Why was my heart beating faster though?

Dialing Eli, I started cleaning the kitchen. It was uncanny how I could still feel Mahil around, like, he had left his essence here.

"What?" Eli snarled picking the call.

"Whoa, someone is angry," I smeared some detergent over the kitchenette and looked for a wiper.

"I liked this red lacy lingerie but the idiot wants me to wear purple," She grunted.

"I don't understand," I placed a small water bucket under the running tap.

"Remember the fantasy where I wanted to make love on the kitchen counter? We were creating a scenario over a chat but he wants me to wear purple when that night-"

"God!" I screamed covering my ears adding, "I got it. Don't describe further. I was just cleaning my kitchenette. Now, I'm getting visuals. What's wrong with you this morning?"

"It's ten pm here, darling. You called in the middle of our fight so you have to listen to it."

"Is he... Is he with you?"