42. The Cloudy Sky

Mahil:

Bidding a bye to the city that gave me so much was tough. Informing Freyer about my little trip to India, I told him not to take up any further projects before confirming with me. At night, Adi had asked for my passport and other details and the next day a visa was ready.

How did he arrange it so quick?

The man couldn't place a food order himself. Or maybe, he was pretending the other day to get on my nerves. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

My cupboard was empty, a pile of clothes lying on bed. Folding selected shirts one by one, I placed them meticulously in a suitcase. Jeans, blazers, perfumes and others went to a different one.

Wondering how many sweaters to get, I asked Adi, "Is the winter harsh in your city?"

Without moving his head away from the cellphone screen which probably had an article regarding a newly discovered drug he said, "Compared to freezing cold of Chicago it's nothing. Humidity could be a problem though. It's set on a coastal line, and has a tropical climate fluctuating between monsoons and summer. Rains are mostly attributed to effect of Western Ghats. Mean annual temperature is 22.7 degree Celsius. Average annual rainfall is 2,213 millimeters. Last year it was some... some... 2,503 mm. Temperature today is 15 degree Celsius. Humidity levels -"

"Okay fine. I got it. You drank Wikipedia last night and the hangover isn't gone. No need to flaunt," I screamed. He pressed his lips in a thin line, scrolled the phone screen as content piqued his interest.

Nerd.

Throwing a pillow at him, I muttered, "I meant to ask if I should pack some winter wear."

"Why to twist your words inquiring about weather then. Oh, thank you by the way. I needed a pillow," He smirked arching his neck side to side, placing the fluffy cushion behind for support.

The flight was scheduled for afternoon. I had insisted on buying my own ticket but he ignored saying something on terms of I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Seriously? How much could it cost? I earned well, just in case he had any doubts.

Kuhoo already bid us a bye before going for work. Most of her conversation with Adi was formal. I didn't force her to come with us when she told me not to wait for her at airport.

Soon it was time. Checking everything carefully, I locked the door. An uncanny hunch engulfed my heart that things were going to change, as first time in the last ten years; I was leaving my own place to stay at someone else's, in a country I'd only heard about.

Pranit took passenger seat; I sat along with Adi on back seat as his driver arranged our luggage before starting the ignition. Roads, trees, poles everything was covered with a layer of pristine white snow. We crossed the Chicago River Bridge and I was reminded of the day we went shopping, our little banter as I narrated the history of this river to divert her mind but instead she was irritated.

As we drove through Michigan Avenue, my eyes fell on Ahana Dance studio and I wanted to stop. I built it earning every signal penny basking in blood and sweat, fighting rivals, struggling to maintain position. It was a dream I could fulfill, always reminding me of my efforts and success. Was I leaving it behind?

Our vehicle went farther, my eyes never averted from the studio until it appeared like a plain dot. I prayed glancing towards sky for both my parents to bless me as we were nearing the O'Hare International Airport.

"I still suggest, let me pay for my own ticket," I pressed while on the way as idea of him spending for my expenses didn't settled well with me.

"You won't be able to afford it," He rolled the eyes.