Prolouge: 10 Years Ago

Grayish-brown smoke covered the once-blue skies. The sun was gone; cold and chilly was the only weather ever known.

There were no chirping birds or leaping deers; only skeletons remained. Trees and grass didn't even exist anymore. The only animals and plants that remained were slowly dying.

These events have been happening not only in South Korea but everywhere else across the world. Scientists said too many factories had caused this pollution, making everyone and everything sick.

World leaders have met with the world's best scientists to present a solution. There were many ideas, but one stood out the most.

Twenty-seven-year-old Im Yoona was not just only the youngest scientist in the room but was also the youngest person. When the US President asked if anyone had more ideas, Im Yoona raised her hand and tapped her mic. "You may speak, Im Yoona." said the president.

"Thank you." said the scientist. "Due to the successful space missions, NASA has teamed up with the rest of the world to build an unlimited amount of space shuttles. We created a plan to inhabit Mars one day, and now I think it's a perfect time."

"But can we live on Mars, though?" asked the Mexican President. "Yes, we can."

"Our missions to Mars have founded several lakes that suddenly appeared and large craters that can fit whole countries."

"Isn't Mars notorious for its thin atmosphere? How can we possibly live there?"  asked a scientist from India.

"With new technology," Yoona replied. "We will build houses that can shield from the cold temperatures at night. Those houses can also shield from the storms."

Yoona used a button and switched the picture on the projector. "This is a blueprint of a house on Mars."

The house was a giant cube. It had notes explaining what materials to use and how to be built. The whole room was amazed.

The plan was approved, and preparations have begun. The scientists at the meeting had first come, first serve to Mars. People who would also assist with the building process, like architects, also had the privilege. Trips to Mars first took seven months, but now it was seven minutes.

Seven-year-old you, Im Y/n, were using a stick to draw in the dirt. You knew you had to leave for Mars soon, but you didn't want to go. Earth was your only home.

You heard someone calling your name, but you ignored it and continued drawing in the dirt. The voice got closer, and you soon felt someone shaking your shoulder.

You snapped out of the trance and saw your friend, eight-year-old Choi Yeonjun. "Your mom is looking for you, Y/n." he said, "it's time to leave now."

Yeonjun's dad was a scientist, while his mom was a well-known architect in South Korea, so they were going to Mars first.

"But, Yeonjun, I don't want to leave Earth?" you said. "But why? Earth is a dangerous place now; you can drop dead!"

"Yeonjun," you said, "I remember seeing a picture in a book, and it showed blue skies, green grass, and many animals."

You stood up, dusting yourself off. "I believe we can return Earth to that form, its original form."

Ever since he met you, Yeonjun was always fascinated by how the way you spoke. You were more clever than the other seven-year-olds left on this planet (your mom is a scientist, after all). Your vocabulary was also strong too.

Even though Yeonjun secretly wanted to stay and save Earth, as well, he couldn't. He would never admit that out loud.

"That's a nice dream, Y/n, but all dreams can't come true. You know that."

Yeonjun grabbed his friend's hand. "I don't want both of us to get yelled at. We should probably go now."

You nodded your head and were about to walk with Yeonjun when you saw something green in the corner of your eye. You turned around and saw something small and green. You made your way towards it and bent down.

It looked like something from the book you read: it was a plant. You remember that the green, tall thing was called a "stem," and the ovals attached to it were called "leaves." There were two of them.

You dug it out of the ground and held it in your hands. "Look, Yeonjun, there is hope," you said. The boy smiled and nodded. "I guess there is."

Still holding on to the plant, you and Yeonjun walked back home.

—————
I planned on writing this as a actual book years ago, so I decided to make a fanfic about this. The title was called "Living on Mars." First chapter too :3
Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and follow!