Chapter 8: Just Trust Me

You took the map to your room and showed it to Yeonjun. You also showed him the distance between Gale Crater, which was the crater you two lived in, and Hellas Basin Crater. "Yep, they're not nearby." Yeonjun agreed.

"Wow, I thought this was going to be easy," you said. "But it's not. I'm starting to lose hope of solving this mystery."

Yeonjun studied the map for a few more seconds. After a while, he looked over at you. "I think I know how to get there in a short amount of time," he said.

Your eyes glowed in astonishment. "Wait, you do?"

"Yes, but it will take a lot of convicting."

"We're talking to your dad?"

It was after school, and you and Yeonjun were walking to his house. He had just told you his plan to get to Hellas Basin Crater. It was unexpected.

"How is your dad going to help us? Isn't he working with my mom, who's trying to kill me?" you exclaimed. "Yeah, but he has a soft side," Yeonjun explained, "plus, he has a hard time saying no; just ask my mom!"

You and Yeonjun arrived at the front door of his house. He took out his key and unlocked the door. Walking inside, you two saw Choi Minsu, still wearing his lab coat. He was washing dishes at the sink. "Hey, Dad,"

Minsu turned around and smiled. "Hey, Yeonjun. Oh, hey, Y/n; I didn't expect you to be here too. Nice to see you." "Nice to see you too, Mr. Choi." you greeted.

"Please, call me Minsu! And the two of you, please have a seat! I will get you some drinks. Y/n, do you like Pepsi?"

You glanced over at Yeonjun, and he shrugged. The two of you sat down at the table, and Minsu brought two glasses of Pepsi. He then left and came back with a cup of Pepsi himself. He sat down. 

"So, how is school going?" Minsu asked. "Well, Dad, we wanted to talk to you about something else," said Yeonjun. "Oh, okay. What is it?"

"What's the fastest way to get to Hellas Basin Crater?"

Minsu's bright expression suddenly turned dark. His hazel-brown eyes also changed into a gloaming and peculiar brown. "Why do you want to know about that?" all the cheerfulness was gone in his voice.

"It's for an end-of-the-year science project. We have to study the structure and climate of a crater other than ours."

Minsu leaned back and crossed his arms. He still had a skeptical expression on his face. "Only certified people can travel to Hellas Basin Crater; people like me. No regular citizen can go there."

"Please, Dad? Don't you want to show your son what you do for a living? Don't you want him to get inspired and follow the same path as his father?"

"Don't you want to do engineering, though, Yeonjin?"

You decided to step in. "Please, Minsu? Yeonjun is going to graduate this year, leaving me all alone. Can't you let him have one last trip with his junior before then? I'll be sad if I spend less time with the person who protects me."

Minsu sighed. "I will talk to my supervisor; I can't make any promises, though."

"Yes!" you and Yeonjun cheered. "Thank you, Dad!" "Yes, thank you, Minsu!"

The scientist nodded. "You're welcome."

Another question soon appeared in your head. "Minsu, how are we supposed to get to Hellas Basin Crater? Is it a bus ride?"

"Nope. It's a three-day ride on a bullet train."

Minsu sent you and Yeonjun on an errand to the store. Once you two were gone, he got out his phone to call his supervisor.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Yoona," Minsu said, "you're never going to believe this."

Minsu told Yoona about the whole conversation. When he finished, there was silence on the other line. Suddenly, Yoona burst out laughing. The laugh sent chills down Minsu's spine.

"They just want to get killed, don't they?" she laughed.

Yoona was laughing so much that tears were streaming down her face. She stopped to collect herself and cleared her throat. "Okay, then. Allow Y/n and Yeonjun to go on the trip, but don't go with them."

"Wait, what do you mean 'don't go with them?'" Minsu asked. "Shouldn't they have someone to watch over them?"

"No, Choi Minsu, just trust me. I'll explain everything."

—————
It's so hard not to type "y'all" in this book. I live in Texas, which is in the Southern US. It's part of our vocabulary😭
Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and follow!