Chapter 27: The Love of My Life

The last thing Yeonjun remembered was falling asleep in Yoona's rocket. His eyes were getting droopy, and his head kept nodding up and down.

"You can take a nap, Yeonjun. It will be a while before we land on Mars," said Yoona, noticing the young man from the corner of her eye.

"No, I'll be fine," said Yeonjun.

"Yeonjun, just go to sleep. It's nighttime from where you were on Earth. I'm not going to kill you in your sleep."

Yeonjun was too tired to argue. So he leaned on his seatbelt and closed his eyes, drifting to slumber.

But when Yeonjun woke up, he was in darkness and sitting on his knees, which were beginning to hurt. Yeonjun tried to move his hands, but they were trapped in cold metal around his wrists.

A lightbulb flickered on, and Yeonjun was able to study his surroundings. He was in a storage closet with miscellaneous items on the metal shelves. He looked down and saw that his hands were bound to the metal polling of the shelves.

Yeonjun groaned in frustration, pulling his hands away from the poles as far as he could. Of course, Yoona tricked him; why did Yeonjun decide to fall asleep in the first place? Yoona was the same person who tried to kill him and Y/n on Mars. Why did Yeonjun trust her?

The door opened, and Yoona strolled inside. She looked down at Yeonjun and chuckled. "I see that you're awake."

"You bitch," Yeonjun growled, "why do you have me trapped in here?"

"So you could hear me out and not jump at me," said Yoona.

"You're not even worth it."

"Oh?" Yoona lowered herself to Yeonjun's level. "But you deserve to know the plan since we share the same ambitions."

"Plan? Meaning you weren't going to bring people from Mars to Earth in the first place?"

"I still am, but for a different reason. While you and Y/n were bussing around on Earth, my new employers and I were building machines to destroy that planet. The machines are the same size as a small rocket but can wipe out many. Fifty of those things and Earth would be reduced to rubble."

Forgetting what he said before, Yeonjun tried to jump out at Yoona, but his handcuffs kept him bound. "You horrible witch! You never were going to help out Earth in the first place! Why was I so stupid to believe your words?"

Yoona shrugged. "Only you can answer that question."

"Yoona, why do you want to wipe out Earth so badly?"

"Because it doesn't belong."

"But Earth is our home planet! There are people still living on that-"

"Earth killed the love of my life!"

"W-what?"

Yoona placed her head in her hands, releasing a shaky breath. She then glanced at Yeonjun, looking away afterward. For a quick moment, Yeonjun could see anger and regret in Yoona's eyes.

Questions were running through the young man's head. Who was the love of Yoona's life, and why was she getting revenge on Earth for that? Yeonjun didn't even know Yoona was capable of loving someone.

"Earth's pollution made my ex, Park Jihoon, sick. I begged him to get better treatment and move somewhere less polluted, but he refused. Jihoon said he knew he was going to die; there was no point in seeing a specialist."

Wait, Park Jihoon, as in Y/n's father? 

From the stories Yeonjun heard, he thought Jihoon and Yoona were estranged. Y/n had also thought the same.

Yet, Yeonjun realized this was the first time he had seen Yoona express a sad feeling, but he was still skeptical. "That doesn't give you a reason to destroy Earth, though," he said.

"Of course, you wouldn't understand. You've never loved someone before."

Yes, I have. My parents and Y/n.

"Taking down Earth won't bring Jihoon back. However, you've gained someone from your love with him: Y/n." The girl I regret leaving. The girl I won't be able to confess my feelings to. "Killing Y/n would mean killing Jihoon."

"You're not making any sense! To move on, I need to get rid of all things that are associated with Jihoon. Earth because he lived on the planet, and Y/n because she's his child."

Yoona stood up and walked to the door. She opened the door and turned over her shoulder to look at Yeonjun.

"The attack will happen at the end of next week. Earth will need to be wiped off the map completely. I'll release you when I feel like it."

The woman slammed the door, and her footsteps faded into the distance.

Yeonjun had to do something. He needed to save the people of Earth before Yoona destroyed them with her creations. But Yeonjun was stumped.

"If Y/n had been here with me, she would have a plan made up already," said Yeonjun.

But there was no time to sulk. If Y/n had seen him now, she would have punched his arm and told Yeonjun to fix his face. While thinking, Yeonjun's eyes gradually moved to his handcuffs, and he noticed rust by the tiny locks.

"If I try hard enough, I can break out of these things. It will be painful, though."

——————————
Only 4 chapters left! How will everything wrap up? Will Yeonjun be able to escape? Will he be able to confess to Y/n?
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and follow!