Chapter 24: Pursed Lips and a Nasty Glare

CHOI YEONJUN

Weeks have passed since the landing on Earth, and there has been much progress in the planet's restoration.

Small forests are appearing at the edge of the compound, and more water has been found to dig up small ponds and lakes. Green grass is covering the dirt-sandy ground. Blue and sunny skies are slowly becoming normal again with less humid weather.

Since coming here, Y/n has made a big name for herself. She advises the leaders and the people living in the Seoul Compound. The other compounds know of Y/n's role, too.

The new position is excellent for Y/n; she's making a difference. But people change when they rise closer to the top.

I haven't had a proper conversation with Y/n because she's busy. I only see her at dinner, but Y/n is usually surrounded by people who want to get acquainted with her. And it's impossible to talk to Y/n in the morning and afternoon because of my new job of growing crops.

I want my Y/n back. I'm jealous that her family and random strangers get to spend more time with her.

It was Friday, and I had just finished eating dinner. Y/n wasn't at her table, so I asked Kiyoung where she was. "In her office filing papers," he replied. "I'm pretty sure she doesn't mind you visiting." 

I smiled, saying a quick thank you and throwing my food away.

I strolled inside the lab to Y/n's office. The office was originally Jihoon's, being passed down to her. 

I saw a familiar door at the end of the hall, and it was slightly opened. I knocked on the door, slightly poking my head inside. "Guess who?"

Y/n, who was nipping on her food, looked up and grinned. It was like everything around her blurred, and she was shining bright. "Yeonjun!"

She got up from her chair and ran into me for a hug. I hugged her back, leaning on her head. "I missed you," I said.

Y/n giggled, moving her gaze to look at me. "We see each other every day, silly! What did you mean that you missed me?"

"I haven't had a chance to talk to you alone. We've been so busy, and you're now one of the leaders here."

"Leader-in-training," Y/n corrected, tapping my nose with her finger. "And I understand how you feel. Please, have a seat!"

Y/n moved away so I could sit on the white chair before her desk. She sat on her black rolling chair. 

"So, how are you? What do you want to talk about?" asked Y/n.

"Things seemed to have improved since we've landed on Mars," I explained. "Plants are returning, and we have blue skies. But being on Earth for the past few weeks had me wondering about something."

"Wondering about what?"

I reached over to grab Y/n's hands. "Y/n, what if we go back home and tell everyone about Earth?"

"Home" What do you mean? We are home," said Y/n.

I shook my head. "I meant 'home' as in Mars, but let me finish. We can encourage people on Mars to return to Earth and help restore Earth to its greatness. That'll also increase the population."

Right after I explained everything, the expression on Y/n's face was the opposite of what I had expected. I  hoped she would agree, but her eyes grew thin, and she pursed her lips. 

"Yeonjun, I don't want to go back to Earth," Y/n said in a monotone voice, continuing after her pause. "And bringing those people from Mars will only make Earth sicker than it already is."

"But if we tell them, they'll want to help!"

"No, they won't!" Y/n shouted, pulling back her hands from mine. "They're the same people who destroyed Earth in the first place!"

"Those people died long ago, Y/n!"

"Most of them are still alive! I don't know why you're being selfish! Earth is already fine; we can repopulate and restore the planet ourselves. We don't need any more vermin on this planet!"

I gasped. How could Y/n say that? Has she forgotten that most of Mars' people came from Earth ten years ago? So are Y/n and I vermin as well, since we came from Mars? 

"I never thought you would use a word like that, Y/n. And how am I being selfish? I'm trying to bring more ideas in!" I argued.

"You don't need to come up with ideas because I'm a leader, not you! I'm the one who brought up this whole journey in the first place, not you! The only thing you're good at is fixing rockets and growing crops! We don't need rockets anymore, so all you're good at now is growing crops! That's where you are now, so deal with it!"

I was silent. I didn't know what to say.

I was the one that protected Y/n before she got hurt. I'm the one that got her out of Hellas Basin Crater. I'm the one who stayed by her side when she was sick and continued to when she woke up. I'm the one who agreed to go on this journey with her, ignoring other's warnings of Y/n, believing she wasn't in the wrong.

I'm the one who dealt with her pain, and is this how she repays me?

I slowly stood up from my seat. I looked down at Y/n with the nastiest glare I could give her.

"Fine then. You can stay on this filthy planet while I go back to my planet, my home, which is Mars. I knew I should've stayed away from you."

I walked out of the office and slammed the door. I didn't want to see Y/n for a long time.

As I trekked back to my room, tears stung my eyes. If I hadn't gone with Y/n, my parents still would've been alive. I could've been baking with my mom and talking to my dad about his latest experiments. And then I thought about Kai and Taehyun and what they had to sacrifice for us to become spies for Yoona. 

But they all had to die because of Y/n.

This is all her fault.

As I approached my room, I noticed light from underneath the door. I stopped, frowning. I always turn it off before I leave. Why was the light on now?

Quietly grabbing my keys from my pocket, I placed the key in the door and unlocked it, ready to attack. But I almost fell backward from the sight in front of me.

Im Yoona was sitting on my bed.

____________________

It's finally 2024! It feels like I haven't updated in a long time (that's probably a lie). Only 7 more chapters left in this book!

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and follow!