Chapter 7: The Mars Map

Yeonjun looked over the plant, still sitting on its place on the window seal. He began to wonder if he touched the plant, Yeonjun's memories would return.

He looked down at you and asked, "Should I touch the plant too? I want to see if I can regain my memories as well."

You sat up. "You can try. Hold on,"

Carefully standing to your feet, you grabbed the pot and walked back to your friend. Yeonjun stood up well and slowly moved his finger to touch one of the leaves. He closed his eyes, expecting a wave of memories to wash in.

But nothing happened.

He opened them back up. "For some reason, it didn't work on me. Maybe it's only for you."

"Hm, that is strange."

The two of you stood there, deciding what to do next. A lot of things happened the first minute you stepped into your room.

An idea suddenly popped inside your head. You eyed the plant and made your way back to it. You wondered if it could show your memories again, but a specific one.

You closed your eyes, took a deep breath, and touched the plant.

The rocket ship had just landed on Mars. You looked out the window and saw the wind blowing red dust. The sky was also an ominous orange.

"Okay, we have arrived," Yoona announced. "Please grab your belongings and make your way out of the ship. And don't worry; you can breathe in this air."

The passengers did as told and were amazed at the sight around them. Tall metal buildings stood in front, and many scientists were directing groups of people inside.

You wondered how the buildings were already there when the first groups (including yours) arrived on Mars. You were about to ask Yoona, but she was nowhere in sight.

"Yeonjun, have you seen my mom?" you asked your friend. Yeonjun shrugged. "I don't know. My dad disappeared too."

"Both of them had work to do," said Emi Choi, Yeonjun's mother. "Now, get your suitcases so we can check in."

You and Yeonjun replied with an okay and followed behind Emi. As you continued to walk, there were more and more buildings, along with more and more crowds.

Finally, all of you arrived at the destination. You walked inside and were greeted by Im Yoona herself. "Mommy!" you exclaimed.

Yoona grinned and opened her arms, and you ran in for a hug. "Nice to see you, sweetie. Do you know what crater we're in?"

You shook your head. "We're in Hellas Basin. It's deep here, but you can still breathe the air. How cool is that?"

You opened your eyes and looked around. Yeonjun was watching you from your bed. "Did you remember anything?" he asked. "I remembered landing on Mars. We were going to these tall metal buildings in the Hellas Basin crater, but I woke up after I learned the name."

You walked to the map of Mars pinned above your desk to find the crater, but you couldn't find it. "Hm, that's weird. Hellas Basin is the biggest crater on Mars, so it should be on the map."

"What if your mom has a map in her secret lab?"

You nodded. "Mom might, but I have a better idea." You walked out of your room and down the stairs. Yoona was still sitting at the same place from when you two came in.

"Mom, super random question, but do you happen to have a map of Mars?"

"Why would you need that?" Yoona asked without looking up from her work. "I just need it for some homework, that's all."

She pointed in the direction of the dining room. "There's one under the left China cabinet in the dining room. Don't knock anything down."

"Thank you!" You ran to the dining room and got on the floor, reaching under that left China table. You felt a large roll of paper and took it out. You unrolled it and smiled.

The first crater you saw was Hellas Basin.

Your eyes traveled the map the see where was Gale Crater at, and you did a few seconds later.

It was on the other side of the map.