Chapter 28: Mother-to-Daughter

Days have passed since you stopped your search.

You concluded that Yeonjun had escaped to another compound far away for a better life on Earth. It made sense; you treated him like a bitch that night. Yeonjun didn't want to see or hear from you anymore.

But what made you even more distressed was what Yurim told you in the middle of the week.

She knew about your search but noted your "laziness" intertwined with your compound duties.

"I know your best friend is gone, Y/n, but work is first," Yurim said. "He will return when he's ready; don't let that boy distract you from your work."

You wanted to ask what Yurim would do if Jihyun had disappeared, but you held it in. You were afraid of the consequences.

The conversation in your aunt's office made you realize something. Your leadership position has pushed your close relationship with Yeonjun away. You were too busy with improving the Seoul Compound that you forgot the most important thing:

Yeonjun.

You didn't finish your work as fast as before, nor had the best results. You also didn't give the best advice anymore. The other leaders knew what was wrong and why you were acting that way, but they didn't ask whether or not you were okay.

They only cared about making the next leader, not the feelings inside. Did you even want to become the next Park Jihoon?

You were taking a break outside the laboratory, reading a book. Suddenly, you heard a low rumbling sound coming from the sky. You looked up and saw a tiny orangish-yellow dot.

Squinting your eyes, the dot moved closer to the ground, and the sound grew louder. That's when you finally realized what it was.

A rocket.

Curious onlookers moved out of the way as the rocket landed on the ground at the compound's center. Placing your book down, you walked closer, wondering who was inside. The door opened, and two people came out.

It was Yoona and Yeonjun.

The young man was all beaten up and bruised, and ropes were tied around his wrists. Yoona stood behind him, keeping her grip on the ropes.

Yeonjun, leaning down at first, lifted his head and made eye contact with you. He shook his head with a scared expression.

"Y/n!" he yelled. "Run away!"

Yoona pushed Yeonjun with great force out of the rocket, and he landed on the ground with a loud thud. "Yeonjun!" you shouted, running to him.

"Since you wanted to see Y/n so much, I made it easier for you to go down. You're welcome," said Yoona, still inside the rocket.

"Why did you do that? What did you do to Yeonjun?" you demanded.

"Y-Y/n, please." Yeonjun's voice came in a whisper. You lowered to his face, eyes brimming with tears.

"No, don't say anything. I'm sorry for what I said to you last time. Let me help you get out," you said.

"N-no, Y/n. Run away."

"Run away? Why?"

"Seems like the rest of my backup is here," Yoona said.

There was more rumbling noise, and you looked up at the sky. Your breath got caught in your throat.

The sky was still partly sunny and blue above, but it was different. Hexagons covered the vast era. There were too many to count; it was never-ending.

"W-what is this?" you asked.

"Y/n, my sweet girl."

Yoona jumped down from the ladder, standing in front of you.

"It was courageous of you to come back to Earth after realizing people were on it, trying to save the sickening planet," she said. "But I will tell you one thing: all of that will go to vain."

Suddenly, a red laser beam blasted from one of the hexagons and set afire a building. People ran away, screaming. Then, a second hexagon did the same, starting a blaze in the crop field. Then another, another, and another. Yoona chuckled, then climbed back into her rocket.

"Everyone! Get to the shelter!" you shouted, still holding on to Yeonjun. Yes, you had neglected your leader duties, but it was time to bring them back out. Your top priority was the compound's safety.

Yet, no matter where you looked, there were too many laser blasts. There was a different explosion on every corner. You could still hear the screams.

Yeonjun had finally gathered enough strength to sit up. He placed his hands on your shoulders, and you turned to look at him.

"Y/n, you need to get out of here," he said. "I don't want you to get hurt."

You grabbed ahold of his hands and smiled. "I know, Yeonjun."

Your friend was confused by your words and actions but suddenly understood when he followed your gaze.

"No," Yeonjun shook his head. "You can't go up to Yoona. She's going to kill you!"

"Yeonjun, I'm tired of running away. Every time we ran away, my mother caught up with us. I should've sat down and had a conversation with her.

This was the first time in months you had called Yoona "mother."

"Y/n, I'm sorry that I left Earth without telling you. It was stupid of me." Yeonjun apologized, putting his head on your shoulder.

You smiled again. "I forgive you, Yeonjun."

He lifted his head, gently placing his hands on your face. "I forgive you too."

Leaning in, Yeonjun kissed you on the lips. You didn't hesitate to kiss him. The two of you had forgotten about the chaos in the background.

It was hard to break apart from the embrace after the kiss. You and Yeonjun knew what was going to happen afterward. You hoped for the best, but that possibility was slim.

You stood on your feet and squeezed Yeonjun's hands. "I promise that I'll come back. Once I do, let's share our stories and adventures."

Yeonjun nodded after he released your hands. "Yes. Stay safe, Y/n."

Yoona surveyed the explosions from inside. To your surprise, you didn't notice any damage on the rocket as you climbed up the ladder.

Cautious but confident, you jumped into the rocket. It was time to stand your ground. For years, you had walked in fear around your mother, but today, it ends now.

"Mom?"

The scientist turned around in her chair, smirking. "Yes, Y/n?"

"We need to have a chat, mother-to-daughter."

"Hm, I think I would like that. Hold on,"

Yoona grabbed a walkie-talkie from her lab coat pocket. "Pause the attacks. I'll let you know when they continue."

The explosions then stopped, but you could still see the hexagons remaining from outside the window.

"Okay, we're in a quiet space now, so let's talk, my sweet daughter."

———————————
Ya'll get y'all's tissues ready. Just a warning.
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and follow!