Chapter 15: Misty Shower

It was going to be a five-hour drive to Hellas Basin. Last night, you had all packed supplies into backpacks Kai found in the closet. It was beneficial since you and Yeonjun lost your supplies in the train explosion.

By the time you woke up from your nap, it was four hours into the journey. You observed the others in the truck. Kai was reading, Taehyun was driving, and Yeonjun was asleep. Everything was peaceful.

Your hand had fallen asleep, so you moved it into your pocket to warm it and wake it up. However, you felt something strange inside. You grasped your hand on the item and took it out of your pocket. You almost screamed out loud.

Sitting inside the clear plastic bag was the plant from your bedroom. The plant that regained your memories.

You didn't remember packing it. If you did, it would've been destroyed in the explosion. Questions began to race in your mind: How did the plant end up with you?

Your thoughts were interrupted when someone in the truck spoke. "Is that the plant Yeonjun was talking about last night?"

You glanced up and saw Kai looking at you. His book was placed in his lap. "O-oh, this plant?" you asked. Kai nodded.

"Oh," you said again. "Yeah, if Yeonjun and I were thinking the same thing."

Yeonjun took something out of his jacket pocket. Then he sat in front of Kai, presenting the item. "This is the plant that regained Y/n's memories," Yeonjun explained. "I put it in this bag, poked holes, and carried it around because I knew it would be important later."

Kai leaned towards the plant, squinting his eyes. "How did the plant not get destroyed in the bullet train explosion? It destroyed everything else."

Yeonjun shrugged. "I don't know. I'm wondering about that, too. It's a good thing, though. Y/n needs this plant; she's the only one who can uncover the truth."

"You believe that?"

"Of course, I believe it. Y/n's my best friend. We've been friends for a while."

Kai nodded, and then he laughed. Yeonjun gave him a puzzled look. "What's funny?"

Kai shook his head but continued to laugh. When he finally stopped, he placed his hand on Yeonjun's shoulder, giving it a hard pat. "I hope you confess to her when this thing's all over."

"Kai! What in the world are you talking about?"

"You like Y/n, Yeonjun. The way you talk about her gives it all away. So does the way you look at her."

Yeonjun opened his mouth to say something else but then closed it. He knew Kai was right, but Yeonjun didn't want to confess to you. One, it wasn't the right time. And two, he didn't know if you felt the same way.

Kai noticed a hint of red growing on Yeonjun's cheeks, but Yeonjun didn't notice. Kai chuckled. Don't worry, Yeonjun. If you're wondering, Y/n feels the same about you.

About an hour later, you had just dozed off into another nap when you felt the truck driving down a ramp. From those years riding with the Chois, the ramp signaled you were entering another crater. And you were right.

You opened your eyes to see Taehyun park the truck by a large metal gate. He then turned to everyone. "We're at the lab now. It's behind the gate, and no one should be here since it's Saturday."

"No one ever worked on Saturdays?" Yeonjun asked, "Interesting."

Carrying supplies, everyone climbed out of the truck and followed Taehyun to the main gate. Taehyun stopped at the keypad and entered an eight-digit code. As the gate slowly opened, Yeonjun noticed something and turned to you. "Y/n, the passcode is your birthday." You just nodded.