Chapter 17: Rocket Scientist

"Yeonjun, my dad lives on an entirely different planet? How are we going to see him?" you argued. "That's impossible."

"Nothing is impossible, Y/n," your friend replied. "I have something that I've never shared with you before."

"Okay, what is it?"

Yeonjun smiled, but it looked somber more than happy. "At one point in my life, I wanted to become a rocket scientist."

Back when Yeonjun was younger, he used to visit his uncle, Choi Taejoon, all the time. The boy loved going to his uncle's house because of books. And not just any books; they were books about rockets.

With Taejoon being an aerospace engineer, he kept books like those handy. When he first caught Yeonjun reading the books, Taejoon disapproved. But after realizing that Yeonjun was gaining knowledge from these books, Taejoon was pleased.

In Taejoon's backyard, the duo built rocket ships out of junk from the house, like recycled materials and foil. Yeonjun planned the blueprints of the rockets on his own; Taejoon was there as a guide. And the best part was out of all the thirty rockets the two created, only two failed. Yeonjun had a special gift.

But it all came crashing down when Taejoon's younger sister, Yeonjun's mother, caught them in the backyard building another rocket. Yeonjun pleaded with her not to tell his father, and she agreed.

Minsu heard the whole conversation, however. No one should be building rockets on Mars because they are not needed anymore and are a way of escaping. A severe punishment was in place for those committing the act. Minsu wanted to protect his wife and child, but not Taejoon. He had to tell his boss.

A couple of days later, in the middle of the night, Taejoon's house caught on fire, and he died at the scene. The whole house, including the books, had been destroyed.

Investigators ruled the fire an accident, and Yeonjun was sad for a long time. His favorite family member was dead, and all the models of rocket ships had disappeared.

Luckily, the younger boy remembered all the information from the books he read. He kept notes about it underneath his bed and looked over them for years.

Thus, that is why Yeonjun knows how to build and fix rockets.

When Yeonjun told you everything, you were amazed. "That's cool," you said. "Can you fix that rocket in the barn?"

"Yes, I can," replied Yeonjun. "While we were exploring, I found a warehouse filled with junk. If I have tools, I can incorporate that junk to fix the rocket."

"Are we going to tell Huening Kai and Taehyun about this, too?"

"No, it's too dangerous. Even though the two are on our side, Kai and Taehyun still worked under Yoona. Taehyun and Kai could be reporting our every move to her."

Even though you disagreed, Yeonjun had a point. Yes, Taehyun and Kai rescued you from the bullet train explosion, but they could have other plans.

You felt like they were going to betray you later on.

Yeonjun started to doze off when you called his name. "Yes?"

"Thank you for coming on this journey with me. Even though we almost got killed, you chose to stay. I also want-"

Before you could finish, Yeonjun sat up and wrapped you tightly in a hug. He was trembling, so you caressed his back to calm him down.

"No, thank you, Y/n. You don't realize how much you've done for me. I'll get started on the rocket tomorrow."

____________________

I call this a filler chapter (even tho it's not) bc it's short

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and follow!