4

Jo's P.O.V.

"How was your knee?" We were at the cafeteria early morning. Reese wants to grab breakfast before the first period. I was hungry but I don't have the money to buy one for myself. 

"It's fine." Reese answered me, uninterested.

We were looking at the yummy foods in front of us, and Reese chose grilled cheese and hashbrowns.

"What do you want? I'll buy it for you." 

"I'm... I'm not hungry." 

"Yeah, if you're not drooling, I'll believe you."

I look at Reese who is now smiling at me lovingly.

"Come on, choose what you want, you'll get the next one, say on your payday?" 

"Okay!" I said before I even hesitated.

I chose the tall pancake with bacon. We found a place to sit and begin eating.

"Yeah, you're not hungry."I glared at Reese's face who are now laughing at me mockingly.

"I didn't have dinner last night." I confessed.

"Why?"

"Mom was home." 

Both of us ate quietly after that, she didn't ask me questions or even ask me to elaborate on it. She already knows, when Mom is at home, I couldn't buy anything or any food because then, she will know I have money and if she knows, then she will force me to give it to her, If I don't, then she'll trash my room till she finds what she's looking for. It happened multiple times already and I've learned my lesson.

We were now in the hallway, walking to our classes. I decided to walk her in case Brittany's group shows up and bully her.

Reese's arm is anchored to mine. I know she feels safe whenever I am with her, and I intend to make her feel that way. She is my best friend in the world, the only person who knows me and my story and never judges.

"Why don't you live with us, Jo? I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind, they love you, you know." I looked at her and smiled. 

Oh, I would love to leave our place, I really do. But I know if my Mom finds out that I was gone, she would come to my school and will make a scene. I cannot afford her to do that and expose my hidden stench.

I reached for Reese's hand that is in my arm and gently rub it.

"You know I would love that too and I love your parents, but I cannot leave our house, my Mom... I cannot leave her." It is partly true, she is still my Mother.

We are now in front of her class. I playfully mess with her hair before letting her go.

"I'll come to pick you up after your class."

"What? Why?" She asked confused.

"I'll take you to your next class, then again, I'll pick you up after then take you to your third period." 

"But why?" She asked again confused.

"You know, the bell will ring and I'll be marked tardy. I'll see you later, okay?" I didn't let her answer me with yet again another question, I left and proceeded to go to my class which is just 5 or 6 rooms from here.

As I walked in the hallway, a certain strawberry blonde hair was in front of our class door. She was just standing there looking straight at me.

I don't have any plans on bantering with her, so when I approached our door, I didn't even stop and averted my eyes.