38

Suddenly, I remembered what our coach said the other day, there will be a transferee.

Could it be her?

Jealousy crept up my chest when Brittany continued talking to Hailey and seemed to forget about me completely.

Though I can hear what they were talking about and it was mostly about stuff in Hailey's old school, I still feel jealous.

Brittany's attention was on her, and she didn't even introduce me as her girlfriend. That was actually like a punch in my gut.

The first period was over, I started gathering my stuff. Brittany didn't even notice when I left the room. It was like they were in their own world, and I was on the outside looking in.

She looked at her in a way that made me feel like I was invisible. They had this bond, like they understood each other without even speaking. I felt left out like I didn't belong there.

 When I looked back, her gaze was still fixated on Hailey. 

The redhead on the other hand was looking at me, smirking devilishly.

My eyes grew hot and before my tears fell down my cheek, I turned my face and walked fast out of the room.

Leaving them behind felt like a heavy weight lifting off my shoulders. As I walked away from that classroom, I could still picture them talking, their laughter lingering in the air behind me.

And my tears fell.

"Hey! Oh my god, Jo, are you crying?" I was startled to hear Rachel's voice. I felt her gentle hand on my elbow and the other reaching for my hand.

Feeling somebody's touch, I squeezed her hand tightly like it would give me strength somehow.

"You're shaking, come here."

I let Rachel guide me wherever she was planning to take me. 

I had my head down the entire time we were walking, the pavement looked blurry with all the tears in my eyes. I was holding Rachel's hand like my life depended on it and I was so glad she was kind enough not to complain about it as I'm sure, I was squeezing her hand too tight.

I found myself seated in the passenger's seat of Rachel's car. She was holding me while I cried myself out. She was just there, not asking questions but just caressing my back gently.

I have no idea how much time has passed, all I know was, I found comfort in the arms of a friend.

"Thank you." When I felt I had no more tears to cry, I fixed and freed myself from Rachel's embrace.

She handed me a tissue, I took it and pat dry my cheeks.

"What happened, Jo? Did Brittany hurt you?"

Immediately, I turned my face to her.

"That confirms it, what did she do to you?" I watched Rachel's jaw clenched.

"No, n-nothing." I tried to deny but I know she can see right through me.

"I don't know how on earth you and Brittany happened, Jo, but I want you to know that, I'm here, we're not that close outside the game but I will be here for you. Whatever it is, you have my number, you can call me or text me anytime." 

Rachel was looking at me lovingly, oh how I wish it was Brittany giving me comfort like this.

"Thank you, Rachel." I uttered.

"The bell for the second period already went off, we can stay here till it's finished."

I nodded at her thinking that I had nowhere to go anyway.