19

Jo's P.O.V.

I was looking at my reflection for like 10 minutes now. I don't have nice and expensive clothes, I woke up extra early today just to look for something nice to wear because of Brittany.

Yes, I admit, I want to look cute today because of her.

I cut our texts last night because it was getting late but even if I was not texting her anymore, my eyes were wide awake and I even backread our messages and smiled at myself like an idiot in love.

In love? 

NO!

Just Idiot, I smiled at myself like an idiot, period.

I wore my favorite boyfriend jeans and combined it with my pink blouse, I tucked it in and wore my white shoes. All of my clothes were bought in a thrift store, if you were a kid in my school, you would see my clothes cheap even from a mile away.

I never care about that, didn't care what people say. I usually have my head straight and didn't bother looking around.

But now, I had to stare at myself for 10 minutes or so just trying to impress someone? Really?

I shook my head and went down the stairs. I checked my phone if I have any messages from Brittany or a call, but nothing.

Did she maybe forget? My face fell thinking about that.

I hesitated for a second if I should text her or not. What if she was still asleep?

Argggghhhh!

I checked the time, it was only 06:35 in the morning. Last night we agreed to meet at 06:30 so that we have an hour before our first period.

I shook my head and walk towards our door. I locked it behind me and stood up on the pathway 10 meters from our house. 

Maybe I should call her.

No, patience!

Also, she might be driving, I don't want to cause her accident.

But if she forgot, well, then she forgot. What am I gonna do about it?

I patiently waited for Brittany, my foot playing with the stones in the concrete while I keep checking my phone.

It was already 06:43 when her car came into view. A smile was painted on my face automatically. She's here, she was late but it was okay, important is, she's here.

"Good morning!" I opened the passenger seat as soon as she stops in front of me and greeted her.

"Hey." Something was off about her. She smiled at me but I felt like it was fake or something.

I shrugged it off and went inside the car.

"Are you okay?" I asked her. 

The drive from my house to the school is only 5 minutes, 15 minutes if you will walk.

"Yeah, why'd you ask?" She told me without even looking at my side.

"Um, nothing. You just... nothing." I shook my head and turned to face the window.

She didn't say anything after. When we reached the school, I didn't wait for her and went down the car. I even walk fast not waiting for her.

We were okay last night, I wonder what changed? 

I felt a pinch in my chest thinking that we were happy last night and the next day, she was throwing a cold shoulder at me.

I shouldn't feel hurt over it, I know it, but why do I?

"Hey!" I felt her tap my shoulder, catching up to me. "Aren't we supposed to have breakfast?"

I didn't look at her side and just continued walking towards the library.

"You go, I forgot I have some papers to do." When I quickened my step and didn't feel her following me, my eyes grew hot. 

Why does it hurt like this? I shouldn't feel this about Brittany, of all people! 

I just... I hate her! I hate her for making me feel something in one minute and just blowing me the next. 

It's Brittany, you know!

Yeah, I should know better. God, I'm a smart girl, how can I forget who is Brittany Anderson?

This is all a game, a game for her! This is not real and it will end soon! I braced and convinced myself.

I fought back the tears that threatened to fall and shook my head multiple times.

When I reached the library, I sat on the corner table. There were a few kids that are buried in their own books.

What am I gonna do here now? I looked around, trying to think what book should I get to kill time. 

"Wow, you're here early."  I didn't notice Rachel approaching my seat.

"Oh, hey. Yeah... Um, I was. Well, I was gonna..." Rachel softly chuckled at my stuttering.

She sat beside me and had her head down on top of her arm that was on the table.

"Yeah, tell me about it." 

I smiled at her genuinely. I was relieved for her not pushing it. 

Rachel was really cool, we could be really great friends. It must be really nice to have someone other than Reese.

"What were you smiling about?" She lift her head up and smirked at me.

"Nothing, I was just thinking how come we're not super close." 

Rachel burst out laughing which interrupted the few students that were reading their books, it also earned the librarian to shush her.

"Come on, my loudness is not allowed here." Rachel took me by the hand and I let her lead me towards the door.

"What were you doing in the library?" I asked her once we were out.

"My Dad brought me to school today, my car is in the service and he goes to the office very early so I had to be early too. I thought I'd kill time in the library. You?"

"Well, same. Though it was not my Dad who brought me here early."

"Who?"

I was stunned for a minute before I recovered. Then I noticed that our hands were still together, I looked down at it, it was a nice feeling but it doesn't compare to how Brittany's touch sent a shiver down my spine.

Every time our skin touched feels like a million voltage going through every vein in my body. It was only her who could make me feel like that. 

Rachel is gorgeous too, toned body, very friendly, unlike Brittany.

She has a smiling face, unlike Brittany.

She hasn't hurt anybody, unlike Brittany.

She is easy to go with, unlike Brittany.

I feel like she's not complicated, unlike Brittany.

But she's not Brittany.

"Hey! You okay, you're zoning out." Rachel was waving her hand in front of my face. I took back my hand from her and smiled at her weakly.

"Sorry, I just remembered something." I reasoned with her.

"You know what, I'm hungry. Let's grab something before the classes start." She took my hand again and didn't let me protest. We end up walk-running towards the cafeteria.

We grab a light breakfast and went out. Rachel didn't want to sit inside and preferred to eat on the bench outside.

"Thank you, you should've let me pay for my own." I told her when we sat down and munch on our food.

"It was nothing, Jo." She just smiled and we ate in silence.