9~The Royal Event

🪞MIRA🪞

"Maa."
A bead of sweat dripped down my forehead. My heart jackhammered in my chest, and a thick, pungent taste filled my mouth.

"I missed you so much, my Mira." She spoke. Her eyes flashed with hatred.

She stood beside me while my father came from the other side, shooting me a death glare. Maa placed her hand over mine while digging her claws into my skin. Wild panic ran through my eyes while her lip curled into an ugly sneer.

"But it has been only forty-eight hours since we last came across, Maa. You remember?" I uttered, ignoring their disapproval that has formed a deep crease in my parents' brows. Her nails deepened into my wrist, making me wince in pain.

"It's nice to see you here, Samdhiji."
Dadi-sa spoke gaining my mother's attention which make her grip loosened on my hand while a sigh of relief escaped from my mouth.

"Rajmata." Maa emitted a fake smile that was gleaming on her face and went near dadi-sa to touch her foot to get a blessing. "I and Mira's papa were yearning to meet everyone."

Papa moved toward me. " We had to come here for our Jamai-sa as to convey our blessings to him on his success." My father finally spoke for the first time and a scream of frustration rose in my chest. "And the other reason is to meet our little princess. You see, Mira came to meet us just the day before yesterday but we as parents still did not get enough of her. We just want to spend our entire life loving her. After all, she's our only daughter." Dadi-sa nodded her head and hold my mother's hand, giving it a compassionate squeeze. I was bewildered witnessing my parents' nuisance. My eyes glared at them and waited to tear down that fucking mask of greatness from my parent's faces.

Maa gained her attention back to me and a sick feeling ballooned in my stomach. I am certain that something was going on in her mind. Something worst.

"कहा है मेरे जमाई-सा?" She said with that unpleasing grin settled on her face.

Translation: where is my son-in-law?

"Certainly, busy with his work," Dadi-sa said, letting out a scoff while my father stood there looking back and forth. Surely, finding Siddharth to ask for another favor.

"Of course, however, he has so many responsibilities to deal with." Maa let out.

"Ahhmm. Attention Please." Everyone's gazes met the podium where my father-in-law was about to give a speech.

"Good evening, my loved ones and well-wishers. As everyone knows we are gathered here to glorify our company's major victory and the hard work our employees have put in over these multiple years." He halted for a moment and paid a glance toward everyone and then begin again. "They paved their way toward achievement and made our Bharat industry renowned all around the world and for that, our company will always be indebted to its staffers. And to appreciate them with a reward I have decided to grant them an increment of up to 20%. Wait, wait, How can I forget the troublemaker of our family who has made the impossible task possible? Right, Siddharth?" A roar of laughter filled the room and my gaze found his. And before my lips could curl into a smile, he looked away in the other direction and my heart panged at his rage. "Beta, I am so proud of you." He said, his eyes stuffed with affection. "And now, I would like to end my speech with a thank you and once again congratulations to all my hard workers." Papa finished to thunderous applause and the crowd broke up into excited chatter and gasps.