22~His Anger

📜SIDDHARTH📜

I turned the car towards the villa I had bought outside of Chittorgarh, my hands gripping the steering wheel

Beside me, Mira sat quietly in the passenger seat, different to her usual vibrant behavior. She nervously fidgeted with her fingers, signaling that something was off with her.

Despite her heavy workload, she hadn't protested much when I suggested a short vacation. However, I knew my wife very well, and her willingness to take a break was something unusual. Especially when she's not the one who would easily put her work aside.

"Mira," I called out, hoping for answers but the only response I received, however, was a soft, "Everything's fine, Siddharth."

Fuck it, if everything was fine, then why was she behaving like this?

For days, I had watched her, witnessed her frequent bouts of zoning out. But what unsettled me most was her unusual silence. She kept whatever troubled her locked away, refusing to share.

I sighed and cast a glance at her as she gazed into the distance. Her eyes lacked their normal shine, and her face had lost its color.

I grabbed her hand and gently interlaced my fingers with hers and leaned down to press my lips on her fingers, keeping my sight locked on the road. From the corners of my eyes, I saw a slight grin appear on her face, a fleeting break in the emotional barrier she had worked so hard to maintain. I took advantage of the chance, laying another kiss on her knuckles.

The echo of her tears from earlier in the day haunted me. Her silence sliced through my soul, leaving wounds that begged for healing words. Why wouldn't she let me in?

Why was she keeping it from me?

I closed my eyes for a second, maybe in frustration or in anger at what's going on with Mira and why she's so hesitant to share it with me.

God, why can't she understand how much it hurts me to see her torn apart? Why couldn't she grasp how much her silence is killing me?

When I stole another glance at Mira, she was staring out of the window, lost in her own thoughts.

Though the anger and frustration roared in my veins because of the situation, my chest pained at seeing her this way.

Her quietness tugged at my heart, and all I wanted was to hold Mira in my arms and assure her that I will always be there for her, no matter what.

***

We arrived at the villa in record time and soon we took the tour of the house and settled our luggage into our bedroom. The room appeared to shine, bathed in the soft radiance of moonlight reflecting off the mirror, creating an ethereal beauty that captured the space.

As I observed Mira taking in the surroundings, I couldn't help but ask, "Do you like the place?" Her gaze swept across the room, and with a simple nod, she replied, "It's pretty." A fragile smile played on her lips which didn't reach her eyes.