Work Over Relationship

A/n; Hello, its a longer one today. Having a shitty week so enjoy my pain though this one shot. TW for verbal fighting

I finally heard the door open after three hours of waiting for her. She told me she'd be home at 6 but it was now 9 and she was only just getting home.

'Hey darling, I got caught up with some work. I had some dinner on the way home and I'm super tired so I'll see you in bed. Night' Clarisse yawned, pressing a gentle kiss on my head then walking to the bedroom. It was the ninth time in three weeks she'd come home late and didn't want to spend any time with me. I knew her job required a lot but I never thought it would take away from me. This time I didn't bother waiting for her for dinner so I put my book down and headed into the bedroom. Clarisse was already in bed turned away from the door. I got changed and into bed, where she didn't recognise me even though I was pretty sure she was still awake.

The next morning I woke up to the bed empty. I pulled myself out of bed and headed to the kitchen. Clarisse was standing at the bench with a cup of coffee on the phone. She looked annoyed and angry. I went over to the coffee machine, beginning to pour a shot of espresso when I heard her slam her phone on the bench.

'Y/n, I know we were having lunch with Percy and Annabeth today but things have gone to shit at base and I need to go in. I'll be home before lunch I promise.' She kissed me on the cheek and ran to the bedroom. Once she was dressed in her uniform I couldn't even say goodbye before she was out of the apartment. I doubted she'll be back in time for lunch but I chose to believe her for some stupid reason. I started thinking I was a second priority to her job now. Ever since we left college she just didn't seem to care about our relationship that much and it's just gotten worse with every promotion she gets.

A few hours later there was a knock on the door, I knew it wasn't Clarisse. I walk over and open it to see Percy and Annabeth standing in the hallway, Percy with two large containers in hand.

'Hey Y/n, how are you?' Annabeth asked, who had nothing in her hands because Percy was carrying everything like the amazing boyfriend he was.

'I'm okay, Clarisse had to go onto base today. I'm not sure when she'll be back.' I choked back tears. Annabeth quickly wrapped her arms around me, holding me close.

'I'm sorry honey, it'll be okay.' She told me then turned to Percy. 'Go put these in the kitchen and warm them up.'

Percy did as he was told and Annabeth pulled me into the living room. She sat me down then got us both a glass of white wine. I explained everything that was happening. How Clarisse was always busy with work, getting home late, seemed to not care about me anymore, everything like that. She comforted me and convinced me to talk to her about it whilst Percy sliced and served the lasagna he brought.

'Clarisse's work is important, but that doesn't make you any less important. Gods know Annabeth and I had some issues when she got stuck into her work designing a new building for Olympus but we got through it. I just talked to her about what I was feeling, she told me how she was feeling and now everythings perfectly fine. Just stay out of your hair and talk to your girlfriend.' Percy sat next to Annebeth, putting her arm around her as he comforted me. 'That girl's crazy about you, I can say that without a doubt. You just need to tell her what's going on.'

We talked for a few more hours then Clarisse finally got home, which was Anna and Percy's que to leave. Percy, of course, left us a pile of blue cookies for us. Clarisse seemed really tired and over everything when she got home. Her hair was falling out of the bun it was pulled back into, her uniform untucked, and her eyes red.

'I'm so sorry darling.' She said falling onto the couch after Annabeth and Percy closed the door.

'Listen, Clarisse, I think we should talk.' I started to say but then she turned to me and gave me a "You're kidding right?" look.

'Y/n, I'm really tired. Can this please wait until tomorrow?' She groaned.

'I know but I just feel that you've been prioritising work over me these past few months and was hoping we could just have a conversation about it.' As I'm talking I can see she's getting angry, she stands up, takes off her jacket, leaving her in a green short sleeved top and camo pants. She runs her fingers through her hair and takes several deep breaths. "Clair, I know your work is important and you're good at it but-' She cut me off as soon as I said 'but'.

'Yes, Y/n it's important and it takes a lot of my time! I know I've been neglecting you and I'm really sorry but I can't control when I have to go into base, that's what the military is like!' I feel a tear roll down my cheeks. 'Do you really think I'd prefer to be at that stupid base, yelling at those stupid soldiers who don't know how to do their job instead of in my own home with my beautiful girlfriend who I've been missing so much. But if you think I don't want to spend time with you just leave because I guess I'm prioritising work to much.'

I hated people yelling at me but Clarisse yelling at me was even worse. Wiping away tears from my face, I got up from the couch and went to the bedroom, grabbing a bag and some clothes. I walked right past Clarisse, who grabbed my wrist but I pulled away and stormed out the door.

'Y/n I'm sorry, please come back.' I hear Clarisse cry through the door. I couldn't go back to that apartment. I rushed to Annabeth's apartment quickly and was only ten minutes away. I explained everything that happened and she and Percy let me stay with them for the night. They were always like big siblings to me, ever since camp half blood.

I woke up to a thousand missed calls and hundreds of texts from Clarisse begging for me to come home. I listened to the messages she left on my voicemail, all of them she was clearly crying saying 'I'm so sorry darling, please come home. I'll listen to whatever you need to say, you can scream at me as much as you'd like, slap me as hard as you want, just come home please.'

'I think you should go back. Talk to her properly.' Percy suggested after listening to the sixth message. I turned to Annabeth who was nodding. I grabbed my bag and walked back to Clarisse and my apartment. I knocked on the door, hearing some mutter from inside.

'It's open'

I open the door to see Clarisse sitting on the couch with her head resting in her hand. She hadn't changed out of her uniform from last night. Her eyes bright red, hair even more of a mess. She looked up and her face lit up when she saw me, followed by tears filling her eyes. She didn't say anything, just sat there looking at me. I closed the door behind me and dropped my bag at the door. We stayed silent for a few moments just staring at each other until she finally crocked through tears.

'I'm so sorry darling. Go on, yell at me, call me a shit girlfriend, slap me, leave me, whatever you need to do, I deserve all of it.'

I've never really seen her upset or crying before. She was always so strong and tough, seeing her so vulnerable was incredibly rare. It was a side of her I was not used to at all. She was always comforting me, so I didn't really know what to do. She had tears rolling down her cheeks, hands shaking, huge bags under eyes, bruises on her knuckles and arms. She looked like a mess. I walked over to her, standing in front of her and pulling her head into my chest. She cried into my chest and wrapped her arms around my waist. I ran my fingers through her hair as she muttered.

'I'm sorry darling. Call me a shitty girlfriend, yell at me, whatever you need to do.'

'I'm not going to call you a shitty girlfriend, or yell at you, Clarisse. I just want to know you care about me more than your job and actually have time for me and shit.' I whisper to her. She pulls her head away from my chest, looking up at me with an expression of relief.

'Done, I'll make it clear to everyone at base that you're my top priority now. I'll never stay late ever again, never cancel plans for work, I'll even take a week off just to spend with you and make up for everything I've missed out on in the past few months. Anything to make you happy.' She said, moving a hand up to my face. 'I've missed you so much.'

I caress her face in my hand and lean down to kiss her. She immediately stood up and kissed me back. Pulling me close to her by my waist, a few moments later she picked me up, making me wrap my legs around her. She pulled back after what felt like forever and said to me.

'I'm so lucky to have you, I'll never put anything above you again I promise darling.'

Then kissed me again and carried me to the bedroom, gently throwing me on the bed.