11: Enemies in Need

Syrena and Leixa stood at the edge of the forest, peering in but unable to pass through the invisible layer of protection.

"We know you're there, we heard you on the way over." Leixa called out to the trees above, trying to spot the one human she knew. "Come down, we need to speak with you."

Both Dawn and Rose dropped down from the tree, Freya remaining on the platform for any sign of more unwelcome visitors. Rose nocked an arrow and the Venturer sorely missed her own bow.

"Now, what would two monsters be doing out of armour at the border?" Dawn asked, fighting back unwelcome memories of the last time she had seen the Commander. The crushing panic she had felt for the past month rushed to the surface and it took all of Dawn's strength to keep calm. Rose flanked her as she approached, loaded weapon pointed directly at their enemies.

Syrena refused to meet her glare, so it was up to Leixa to explain their sudden appearance. "We're looking for a woman named Alani. We had hoped to run into you again, it would've been a massive pain if we were shot on arrival."

"How do you know Alani?" Dawn narrowed her eyes, her previous suspicions about the witch's connection to Zyire proving to be correct. "And is your lack of armour supposed to be a peace offering?"

"It's a long story, but it's urgent." Leixa held out her hand, revealing a note laying in her palm. "We have a message to deliver from the King."

Dawn smiled viciously as she gestured to the forest. "Go to her then, I'm not going to stop you."

"You know we can't." Syrena finally snapped, gaze clashing with Dawn's. The moonlight grew brighter as the clouds dispersed, and images of her escape flashed in her mind. Syrena had looked exactly like this when the Venturer had bested her. Though, it was quite a peculiar sight to see the monsters, while armed with their weapons, completely out of armour. It seemed too natural for comfort.

The Venturer kept her gaze locked on the monster, using cruelty to fight her fear. "I know."

"Please, it's a matter of life and death." Leixa begged, the only one who wasn't letting her emotions and reservations get the better of her, though Dawn doubted she had any at all from what she had heard in her cell. "For both Monstra and humans."

"Humans too?" Rose questioned, bow following the violet eyed monster as she turned to look at her. "What's going on?"

Leixa tensed, looking to the Commander for guidance. "We cannot tell you."

Dawn couldn't help the humourless laugh that escaped her. "So, you would like us to help you, our enemies, without telling us what it is we're helping you with?"

"I know how it sounds, but if Alani reads the letter and decides to help then we can tell you everything."

"What do you think?" Rose pulled Dawn aside, though knowing it wouldn't make a difference. Somehow it felt more private speaking behind a tree than in front of them. "Because I can tell you what I think, and it includes several foul words."

"I think we're thinking the same thing." Dawn agreed and then looked up as though she could see through the leaves and to the platform. "Maybe we need a third opinion?"

"When have you ever needed a third opinion?"

"Never, but this doesn't just involve me. Freya!" Dawn called to her sister, and the Watcher dropped to the ground seconds later.

"I heard everything." Freya wasted no time, looking between the two friends. "And I think we should hear them out."

Rose and Dawn looked at each other, wearing matching expressions of confusion. "So much for the third opinion."