37: The Arsonist

Dawn had two plans depending on whether the border would let her pass. If it did, then she would focus on just Garrett and Zaque and use the materials she had acquired. If not, then she would resort to the page she carried at all times; although, this was the less preferable option considering it would involve the entire Base. Still, she would not be stopped regardless of the outcome.

As she approached the tree-line, she could hear no heartbeats of Watchers at their stations. The eastern border must not have a patrol sanctioned for the night. With her new vision, she could see the slight shift in the air where the border separated the humans from the Monstra. It was only a subtle change, a thin sheen that was practically invisible, but it was there, nonetheless.

Reaching out, Dawn raised her hand to touch it. The border seared her skin, and she winced as it crackled around her. Her flesh felt as though she had stuck her hand in an open fire, but she still found herself stepping forward. The border still allowed her to pass. Grinning into the darkness, Dawn stepped foot into Kings Grave, fuelled by her thirst for murder. If this burning was what Syrena had felt as the Leader and his son held her up to kill her, then she would show no mercy.

She wanted to laugh, to allow her shrieks to fill the air as a warning. Perhaps the sound would send the men running, or would they fight her. A part of her wanted to see how she would fair against them, how they would fair against her. Covering her mouth with her hand, Dawn's vision unfocused as she contained her fit, not wanting to lose control just yet now that she had gotten so far. She would allow that to happen only when Garrett and Zaque were swinging by their necks.

Sudden movement from deeper within the forest silenced her immediately, eyes focusing once more as she snapped her head in the direction of the sound. She recognised the snarls that filled the air, and she knew what awaited her before it emerged from the trees. A creature, similar to the ones she had encountered in the west, had found its way into Kings Grave. Or, now that she knew they were once human, a failed experiment.

Despite the fact that its sight had been stolen, the creature lunged for her, having determined her location by the sound of her smothered laugh. It was just as grotesque as Dawn remembered, but now she felt no fear as she reached out and caught it by the throat. The creature thrashed and clawed at her skin, nails tearing through her flesh and spilling blood. She barely felt the pain, too enamoured by her own strength. How many times had she fantasised about this? How many times had she wished she had enough power to fight back?

Tightening her grip, she crushed the neck of the creature she held, its body slackening and going limp immediately. She heard the bones snap beneath her strength, and heard the second the creature's rabid heart stopped beating. Dawn's face contorted in a crazed smile. Yes, she could most certainly get used to this.

Despite no longer belonging to the forest, she knew the pathways like the back of her hand. Carrying the creature she had just killed, she followed the path to the Base. Now that it was night time, there were a limited number of humans still awake and outside of their homes. She watched them from the shadows with fascination. Their life now seemed so far removed from her own that it was hard to believe she had joined them a few short weeks ago. She had to be mindful of her position within the shadows, and the illumination of her eyes. She had much to do, and she couldn't afford to be spotted early.

Hiding the body within some bushes, she wondered how the civilians had not encountered creatures such as this before. Perhaps a stray had lost its way, or had been let loose. Either way, the fact that they now were in the east was concerning, but that was a problem for another day.

Keeping her hood up, Dawn blended in with the shadows as she crept towards what had once been her cabin. She wanted to see it once last time before she would never return. A goodbye to her ignorant human self, so to speak.