41: Life Debt

Dawn, during her brief time within the castle, had grown accustomed to the layout. She now knew the path from Syrena's room to the main street as well as she once knew the pathways of Kings Grave, and this was something that almost startled her. Perhaps it was her memory, which had improved since she had become whole again, or whether Zyire's castle had a simpler design than she had once thought. Though, she doubted it was the latter due to the impossible amount of twisting hallways and staircases. Thinking of this fact, she could not help but remember the time within the dungeons where she had asked Syrena about her memory. The song danced on the tip of her tongue, and Dawn could not help but begin to hum the tune out of both malicious intent and burning curiosity.

"Do not." Syrena warned as they descended the stairs that led them towards the heart of the kingdom.

"You're no fun." Dawn pouted as she glanced around, noting that every pair of eyes within their immediate radius was on them or, more specifically, her. "Am I going to be stared at whenever I leave the castle?"

"Most likely." Syrena looked around at the heads that had turned in their direction. "Perhaps I should start walking ten feet behind you."

In retaliation, Dawn firmly linked her arm with Syrena's, locking the Commander in place. "If I am to suffer this, then you shall suffer it with me."

"I'm sensing a common theme within our alliance."

"Alliance?" She scoffed, unable to believe the words that had left Syrena's lips. "We save each other's lives, not to mention what we did five minutes ago, and you still call us an alliance?"

Syrena frowned at her, confused as to why her word choice was inappropriate. "What would you call us then?"

"Any preferences?"

"Something suitable."

"Whatever you say, sweetheart." She grinned at Syrena's exasperated expression, before pondering the options. "It feels weird to call us friends."

"Are we?"

"I suppose we are, in a way."

"Yes, that does feel weird." The Commander agreed, casting a sideways glance to the girl that was still gripping her. "You feel a little bit...more."

"A close confidant?"

"Now that feels too impersonal." Syrena wrinkled her nose at Dawn's suggestion, obviously dissatisfied. "But, I suppose."

"You think of something then." She rolled her eyes, secretly curious as to what the Commander would call them. "Something other than an ally."

Syrena took her time in deliberating her answer, although she conceded with a shake of her head after a period of silence. "You're just Dawn."

"Ouch, I believe stabbing me would have hurt less." Her free hand fluttered to her chest as she let her mouth hang open in mock offence. "My poor heart."

The Commander scoffed. "What heart?"

Dawn chuckled, grip tightening around Syrena's arm. "Your jokes just get better by the day."

"I blame you."

"Please do." She beamed as they climbed the steps to the hospital, feeling more normal than she had in weeks. She was almost able to forget about her worries. Distraction, indeed.

The hospital was a rather large building, on par with the housing for the Protector trainees, which Dawn found almost hilariously ironic as Monstra did not have much to worry about by way of injuries and illness. Much like the other buildings within the kingdom, the hospital sported the same openness and arched corridors, glorious stone and large windows.