5: Commander

Information about monsters within Kings Grave was strictly based on hearsay. There was no singular source responsible for these rumours, it was almost as if they had always existed. The most common ones often revolved around how the monsters were inhuman beasts with no cognition and would slaughter without hesitation. They did not feel pain, they did not feel fear, they did not feel remorse. But with every rumour, there was always one to counteract it. By some merciful act, the monsters always tossed human corpses back to where they came from. An odd sort of custom which allowed humans to bury their dead and strike off names from the missing list.

Everything was black when Dawn was able to open her eyes again, quickly discovering that she had been blindfolded, bound in chains, and her head was throbbing. A very unfortunate set of circumstances.

"The human is awake." Came a commanding voice that echoed throughout the room, leaving Dawn unable to place where it was coming from. "The blindfold is no longer necessary, remove it."

The Venturer could sense movement to her immediate left, before the cloth was violently ripped from her head, leaving her momentarily blinded and a few strands of hair less than she was. Snarling at her captor, Dawn blinked as her vision came back. She found herself in what appeared to be a cavernous hall, with stone flooring and pillars decorating the space. Two thrones sat on the opposite end of the hall before large windows, one vacant, the other occupied.

The king stood, stretching out his large feathered wings as though to intimidate the newest prisoner. Not one to outwardly show fear, Dawn calmly observed the monster king as he drew closer. Taking the shape of a youthful man, he had a strong build with a softer face. Two curved horns poked out of his chestnut hair, with matching coloured eyes that were currently observing the monsters latest acquisition. His deep ruby clothes looked finer than any she had managed to uncover, made from a material she didn't have a name for. It didn't take much to guess who this was, and where she was.

"Commander Syrena, you have truly outdone yourself this time." Zyire crooned, staring at Dawn as though she were the most fascinating exhibit. She stood as he approached, not wanting to be threatened by looking up.

"Kneel before the king." The monster named Syrena growled, all but shoving Dawn back down. Her knees hit the marble floor with a horrifying crack, and a pained gasp she couldn't hope to conceal escaped.

Paying no mind to her pain, the king turned to the monster beside her. "Where did you find her?"

"In old city ruins not too far from here. She was carrying this." The monster presented her satchel that contained items far more valuable than they could imagine. She watched as her retirement plan passed from Syrena to Zyire, the king closely observing the contents of her satchel.

"Artefacts?" The king raised an eyebrow, meeting Dawn's glare with a bemused expression. "What is a human like you doing hunting for artefacts instead of hiding safely in your forest? Hm?"

Dawn didn't answer, only continued to glare. It was the only thing she could think of doing that wasn't wallowing in her misery, self-loathing, and lung crushing panic. She involuntarily let out another yelp when the bottom of that blasted spear slammed into her side.

"Answer."

The Venturer instead took in her surroundings, meeting the dozens of gazes locked on her from all monsters present in the room. Each face held an expression of wondrous horror, as though they were observing a mythical being that was known for its savage ferocity. How Dawn wished she had enough ferocity to kill all creatures in this room, maybe then would she feel vindicated.

The king suddenly laughed, a loud cackling sound that boomed across the hall, causing Dawn to jump slightly. "I like it! I like the audacity she possesses! She is surrounded by her enemies and yet she doesn't flinch? What excellence!"