57: Positions of Power

Queen Kaira had not been pleased to hear about the commotion during the welcoming party, although she seemed more ashamed of Dilah for allowing Dawn to overpower her rather than concerned for her.

Zyire, in private, had commended Dawn for her enforcement of eastern pride. He said that he had always hated Dilah, but he could not say such things in front of the other rulers. Understandably so but comical to hear regardless.

Dawn had been invited to the throne room for another gathering of sorts; she had been to so many now that she had forgotten the exact reasoning behind them. Well, the reasoning Zyire had told the Monstra in attendance so she could suss them out. She didn't care what the lie was, she just knew that she was not going to figure out much if it continued. Yes, the gatherings were helpful, but she would need to try harder if she was to uncover the truth. Simply being in the same room was not going to cut it.

Zyire allowed her to lounge in his throne while he spoke to his fellow rulers, and she idly tapped her finger against her leg in an off beat rhythm. With her head propped up by her fist, her gaze was lazy as she watched the Monstra before her. She was getting nowhere, and it was incredibly frustrating.

For days she had watched, and conversed, and watched some more, and yet she was no closer to discovering who it was that she needed to behead. Naturally, she would glean every piece of delicious intel from their person before the beheading, but there would be a beheading nonetheless. And yet the traitor still roamed free with their head securely attached to their shoulders while Dawn sat stewing.

The royal children, who were mostly adults, chatted happily with each other and their parties. The Commanders either joined them or were on guard. The courtiers mingled with other courtiers. The whole situation felt relatively normal.

Either she had been wrong and the person she was trying to find was not amongst them, or they were skilled in the art of deception. Dawn did not think it was a case of the former. They were playing mind games, and while Dawn reveled in a challenge, she could not deny that they were winning at present.

Narrowing her eyes, she scowled at the Monstra within the hall, fighting the urge to stand and ask them outright. Which one of you is against me? Show yourself, I would fight you happily. Although she could not deny that when she found them, and she most certainly would, her victory would be that much sweeter.

Syrena, who had permission to climb the steps of the dais, suddenly materialised before Dawn, a question burning within her eyes.

"It is with deep regret that I confess I am not a mind reader." Dawn said as her fingers dug into the grooves within the wood, feeling the truth of her words now more than ever. "You'll have to ask me outright."

"I cannot." Syrena replied, and Dawn surmised that it had to do with the people in attendance.

"Very well." She raised her palm, and motioned for Syrena to write on it. "Ask me."

With a touch so light Dawn could've imagined it if she had not seen Syrena move, the Commander traced letters against her skin, causing goosebumps to rise along the length of her arm. Lately, Dawn had found her touch to be maddening, more so than it was usually.

Any suspects?

"Not yet." She verbalised before reaching for Syrena's palm to write: too many could be suspicious.

South?

"Uncertain." Northern princes are dubious.

"Glad to hear it." Syrena said, and Dawn believed her to mean it. She was clearly still bitter about the hand kiss, although Dawn could not fathom why she would hold a grudge for so long, especially since she went to lengths to rectify it.