39: Shattered

True to Sika's words, there was a break within the border. It must have been tampered with to allow easy passage for transporting unconscious Monstra to their cages. A flaw in the system, had Alani known about this? It wouldn't surprise Dawn if she had been the one to break it.

The sky had begun to lighten upon the horizon as they exited Kings Grave, daybreak was not far away. Dawn heard Ricard and Sika suck in a sharp breath at the sight, obviously not having expected to see a view such as this again before they died. How many days had they spent in that cage wondering if they would ever get to walk freely again? If they would ever feel the warmth of the sun on their skin? How ironic that it was Monstra that Dawn had set free while most humans still lived unaware within the confines of Kings Grave. Perhaps her note and display would open their eyes, perhaps they would kill Garrett for her. She certainly hoped so, that would be a lot easier.

Shooting a quick glance behind her to ensure that they had not left any trace of their movements, that Zaque dragging behind them was not leaving a trail within the grass, Dawn followed the two Protectors in the direction of Zyire. They were a few hours from the kingdom at the slow but steady pace they were going, and Ricard and Sika seemed determined not to stop despite both forcing air into their lungs.

Now that the sun had risen, Dawn could see them clearly, and could see how unwell they looked. Both were sickly and thin, and while Monstra did not require sustenance as frequently as humans, it was still a requirement to live. They looked as though they had nourishment restricted from them, it was a sight that Dawn was all too familiar with having known starving families within her old home; had known and seen her own starving family. Aside from the obvious effect of captivity and the drug, Ricard and Sika both carried themselves with the grace and poise that Dawn had come to expect from Protectors.

Their glossy hair, which had become ragged and worn, were still glorious shades in their own right. Sika's lilac hair fell to her bony shoulder blades, unkempt and dishevelled but still shining, whereas Ricard's midnight choppy waves, that perhaps once looked purposefully unkempt, now covered his eyes. Dawn could tell he was frustrated by this as he continuously shoved his hair back from his face, each pass of his hand growing increasingly rough.

Dawn did not miss the way they also cast curious glances at her, noting how she truly looked to toe the line of both Monstra and human. Their inhuman eyes, now seemingly more full of life than they had been a few hours prior, raked over every inch of her person.

"It's rude to stare."

"My apologies." Sika replied, casting her ruby gaze to the horizon. Regardless that she had been held captive, her willowy frame still moved with deadly grace. She almost reminded her of a lioness, or a tiger with the way she stalked through the grass; all that was missing was a weapon. Absently, Dawn wondered what form of weaponry she favoured. Would it be a sword? Her toned arms indicated that she was used to heavy lifting but, then again, all Protectors were.

"You were staring at us, it's only fair." Ricard sniffed, tilting his face up to the early morning sky. Dawn had never seen a skin tone such as his before: in direct contrast to Sika's rosy hue, Ricard almost appeared as though he was made from smoke itself. Whether his skin was a natural wispy grey, or whether it was a side effect of the drug, Dawn did not know. Though, from what she had seen of Monstra so far, she wouldn't be surprised if he was born that way. The sun did not seem to penetrate his skin in favour of getting lost before reaching him. How interesting.

"Yes, but I was not staring at you as though you are a rare phenomenon." Dawn argued, rolling her eyes in mock annoyance. Though she would be lying to herself if their gazes did not unnerve her somewhat. She already knew she didn't belong, she didn't need reminding. "There's a difference between staring and gawking."