49: Costume

Ricard and Sika made quick work of moving into the wing dedicated for Dawn's attendants, both having settled into their new rooms by the time the sun had risen the next day. It appeared as though they did not previously live in a house they were attached to and were more than eager to call the castle their home.

Gaige and Einar wanted to share a room, something which Dawn apparently had to give her permission for considering the rooms were technically hers to distribute.

"See," Dawn grinned to Gaige once Einar set off to begin packing and moving their belongings, something the Protector insisted on doing alone considering the fact that his life partner was still recovering. "You got your wish."

"I actually get to live with him." He responded somewhat breathlessly, as though this was something he never thought would happen. "He wants to live with me."

"Were you under the impression that he didn't?"

"No, but after our fight I couldn't stop my doubts."

"It must have been a difficult thought to swallow while in Kings Grave."

"It suffocated me."

"I know the feeling." Dawn uttered darkly, understanding the boy's sentiment too well. Also knowing that it was not a pleasant topic to reflect on, she changed the subject. "Is the room to your liking?"

He nodded enthusiastically, wide eyes scanning the bare room. "Yes, it's an excellent blank canvas."

"Blank canvas?"

"You don't think I'm leaving it like that, do you?" He raised an eyebrow as he looked at her, obviously finding the question ridiculous.

"I should have known." Dawn chuckled as she shook her head. Of course he would redesign it from top to bottom. "Make it worthy of being your home."

"I intend to."

"Does Einar get a say in its decoration?"

"Unfortunately yes, it isn't completely mine." He sighed as though this was a source of deep pain before brightening again. "Although, luckily for me, he doesn't care much for interior design. As long as there is a bed for him to sleep in, he is perfectly happy."

"That is lucky, you have free reign." Those arrangements certainly worked for the both of them. "I assume you have already started?"

Gaige laughed. "Of course, it's me."

Dawn left once Einar had returned, letting them get on with moving into their new home in peace. Returning to her own room, she found Syrena right where she had left her at her desk.

"They seem rather happy." She commented as she shut the door, crossing the room to look over Syrena's shoulder. She was still on the first page of her paperwork, a task which Dawn had insisted on being permanently transferred to her room. While Syrena was vehemently against this, she could not refuse a direct order. Besides, Dawn had reminded her that the Commander could always complete the paperwork in her room if she was so adamant on doing it. Though, they both knew that Dawn was far more efficient.

"I imagine they would be." Syrena answered, using her arms to cover her nonexistent progress.

Dawn snickered at her actions, knowing it was inevitable that she would be taking over the work. Not that she minded, she found it a great opportunity to learn as much as she could about how Monstra kingdoms worked. "Will you be keeping your room?"

"Yes, I like that it is far removed from everywhere else."

"I suppose at this rate, my room is essentially yours to use as you see fit." She sighed, leaning against the desk. "Like how I use your room as my own."