34: Lost Soul

(TW: suicide attempt and suicidal ideation – please read at your own discretion)

Dawn dashed down the endless corridors and hallways of the castle, running with no aim, no purpose, no destination in mind. She just had to get away from that throne room, from the people within it. She could hear footsteps following her, a frantic heartbeat that was not her own. She could hear too much now.

Racing up numerous flights of stairs, Dawn was determined to go as high as she could. Up and up she went, until she could go no further. The corridor she found herself in only had one door at the end of it, and she could see shards of light bursting through the cracks within the door frame.

Without hesitating, she ran towards it and shoved it open. The door flew off of its hinges and scattered across the open top floor.

It's true, she inwardly cried, although she already knew this fact, I'm a monster.

Isn't that what you've always wanted? Her mind whispered back, tone condescending.

Recovering from her fright, Dawn had to squint while her eyes adjusted to the obscene brightness. The sun was quickly setting over the kingdom, and from the half wall that separated her from the rest of Zyire, she could hear the buzz of life below. How happy everything seemed, how content with life. It sickened her.

Without thinking and desperately needing the world to stop, Dawn climbed on top of the wall, looking down at the kingdom below. She could hear the citizens from where she stood so far above them, she could hear the emotions in their voices, the sincerity in their tones. The late autumn air rustled her hair, biting at her skin despite the fact that she could barely feel it; she couldn't feel much anymore. Truthfully, the world was so exceptionally beautiful. Dawn had seen such a small portion of it but still firmly believed that fact, she just did not have a place within it. Isn't that what Alani had said?

She barely registered the footsteps behind her pause in the dismantled doorway, pause as the owner took in the sight of Dawn on the ledge, her foot raising and leaving the solid wall in favour of open air.

Dawn closed her eyes, took a breath, and stepped forward.

While she had intended her plummet to the earth below to be swift, it was cut short by a hand that had managed to grip her forearm just before she slipped out of reach.

Surprised, Dawn's head snapped up to be greeted with the sight of Syrena hanging over the edge of the wall, expression hard and set with determination as she refused to let go of the monstrous girl.

"Let me go, Syrena!" Dawn pleaded with her; voice carried by the wind. Perhaps the Monstra down below were watching this, watching such a horrendous sight.

Syrena did not reply, she only continued in her endeavour in pulling Dawn back up to safety. The girl fought against her grip, desperate to shake her off and fall to her death. She was finished, she was through. She wanted her story to end; except the Commander before her refused to allow it.

Try as she might, Dawn was unsuccessful in freeing herself from Syrena's grip. She was pulled back over the edge of the wall, and subsequently knocked to the ground before she could try again.

Now that they were matched in strength, Syrena had to try harder to get the girl beneath her to be still. Pinning her wrists at her sides, the Commander used every ounce of force that she could muster to prevent Dawn from throwing herself from the top of the castle.

"Let go of me!" Dawn struggled against her grip, trying to free her wrists and body so that she may finish what she started. "I mean it! Let me go!"

"Look at me!" Syrena screamed, desperately trying to render the girl beneath her motionless. Her entire body weight was being used to hold her down, and yet even then the girl was utterly determined to shake her off.