50: Infiltration

Syrena led them towards where they would retrieve their weapons for their outing. It was a small room near Syrena's wing of the castle, much smaller than the private room they had for training, and the selection of weapons available were fewer but they looked even more impressive than the ones Dawn had seen previously.

"Who do these belong to?" She asked, staring at the collection in wonder. There was not a single weapon she could think of that she could not see before her, and each one looked to be the best of the best.

"Me." Syrena said simply as she found her scimitar, its curved blade gleaming wickedly in the lowlight. "Take your pick."

"I should've known." She uttered as she glanced at each rack. Each item was in pristine condition and she wondered just how long and how often it would take to clean a collection as large as this. Though, Syrena did seem like the dedicated type. I earn more money than I know what to do with, remembering her words, Dawn smiled. It seemed that even the high and mighty Commander had a hobby. The thought warmed her, although she did not know why.

Dawn strolled around the room, in no hurry to rush her decision. The sun had just set, and they were waiting for full dark before sneaking out of Zyire. She plucked a bow from the rack, feeling its weight within her hands before moving to pick up a loaded quiver. These were weapons she was familiar with and were easy to carry, slinging both onto her back before glancing towards the knives. Can't hurt, she thought before grabbing a belt that sheathed multiple. She waited for Syrena to mock her, but the girl was too busy selecting her own weapons to notice. Anyway, Dawn was not the fighter of the two.

"Are you waiting for the sun to rise or will you make your selection before then?" Dawn grumbled after a few minutes, wondering why Syrena was being incredibly meticulous in her decision.

"We are about to enter a forest that has only one known exit for Monstra, and who knows what we will encounter within it." She said calmly as she held up two blades, comparing them. "Both of our lives are on the line, I'm not taking any chances."

With that, Dawn could only sit by the door in silence and wait until Syrena was finished. She was clearly happy with her choices, her walk appeared ever so slightly more confident; if such a thing was even possible.

Ensuring their hoods were up, Dawn and Syrena quietly crept out of the castle, making a direct line for the main street.

"Do you have a plan for making it out of Zyire safely?" The Commander asked as they walked, observing the still well populated streets. Syrena had once said that speaking at a normal volume was best to avoid being overheard, and that appeared to remain true as Monstra blissfully went about the rest of their evenings, paying them no mind.

"The last time I got out was during a scheduled delivery." Dawn replied, keeping stride with the girl beside her. "It just so happens that there is another within the hour."

"How did you come by this information?"

"Have you forgotten who handles most of your paperwork?" She felt rather clever at this little arrangement she had made. "What are the deliveries for?"

"They are sometimes from eastern towns, or from the Territories." Syrena shook her head, obviously thinking that she should have known there was a reason why Dawn wanted to leave tonight. "We import food from everywhere, although each kingdom has their own speciality export."

"Which are?"

"Fabrics from the south, masonry from the west, and luxury goods from the north."

"What do we export?"

"Weapons and military." At Dawn's snort, Syrena shot her a quizzical look. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." She waved her hand, thinking carefully over this newest piece of information. Fabrics, masonry, luxury goods, most of those were rather important. Granted, they would import more than just those from the kingdoms, but that was what they were known for. Dawn's steps faltered once she reached a disturbing thought. "Oh."