14: Hidden in Plain Sight

Dawn was only slightly surprised when the border allowed Syrena to pass through, though it seemed not without consequence. The Commander hissed and winced as they stepped foot into the open air, stumbling as agonising pain swept through her. The Venturer was mostly fine, though the burn on her palm prickled. It was a constant reminder that she had betrayed her own, a symbol of their treacherous alliance. It would certainly leave a permanent mark, that much she was sure of.

Without sparing a glance behind them, Dawn and Syrena began their three day journey south. They moved quickly and silently, racing to be out of view of Kings Grave before the Watchers took their posts. It was the first time the Venturer had to be worried about being seen by a Watcher, usually it was a comforting thought, but now it filled her with dread. If she was seen with a monster, it would surely be reported to Garrett and then who knows what he would do with that information. Perhaps he would question her family, or worse.

Slowing to a jog as she caught her breath, she had never been more relieved to be out of the forest's sight. However, now Dawn was in monster territory, and that was an incredibly dangerous place to be. She would have to rely on Syrena's hearing once more to warn her of potential threats, and rely even more on the piece of fabric wrapped around her shoulders.

The monster walked beside her, steps sure and confident in their direction, leading them to a town Dawn knew nothing about. That was also a new feeling, being unsure of her destination and the path to get there. Naturally, the Venturer had little experience with the world outside of the forest when she first began her job, but over the years she had built up a steady knowledge of ruins that were safe, those that were not, and the directions to take to get there. Now, it felt almost as though she was blindly stumbling, with nothing to guide her except an unreliable source.

"So, what exactly is Monrya?" Dawn eventually asked, breaking the long-lasting silence that had settled between them. It was still a mental challenge to come to terms with the fact that Syrena was on her side now, and that the lines between enemy and ally had blurred. "You haven't exactly been sparing with the details."

The Commander glanced at the girl, eyes bright with caution. "I suppose I don't have a choice but to tell you, do I?"

"No, you don't. Especially since I need all the information I can get to plan accordingly." Dawn felt smug, knowing the monster had to consent to her wishes as it truly was the only option if this was to succeed. While they didn't know what they were searching for, and with only a vague letter to go from, it was still necessary that the Venturer knew as much as she could beforehand. There was no such thing as being over-prepared in her mind, and no such thing as useless information. Every piece was valuable in schemes such as this.

"Very well." Syrena obliged, expression turning solemn as she recounted her knowledge of their destination. "Monrya, or the Moon City as locals call it, is one of the towns sworn to Zyire's kingdom."

This surprised Dawn, having previously thought that every town, city, and kingdom had its own leader. "I thought Zyire only had his kingdom? He rules over towns too?"

"Yes, King Zyire presides over many towns. You were unaware of this?"

"As I said, the only things I know about monsters are from rumours."

"All Monstra towns belong to a kingdom, it just depends where it's situated. As Monrya is closest to Zyire in terms of location, it falls under our kingdom's banner."

"But it's three days away, is there not a kingdom closer in the south?"

The Commander rolled her eyes, irises sparkling in the sun's light. "Would you like a map?"

"Ah, so you can crack jokes. There may be some hope for you after all."

Ignoring her taut, Syrena continued with her explanation. "Monrya is in the southeast, therefore it belongs to Zyire. There are many kingdoms, but it would take a long while to travel to the nearest one from here."