46: The Tailor's Boy

Sketchbook in hand and cloak hood up, Dawn swiftly made her way to where she was to meet Gaige the following morning. The cafe wasn't difficult to find as it happened to be the exact same one that she had stared at longingly before during her tour with Syrena, and it also helped that the boy was already waiting outside for her.

"You're here!" He exclaimed once he caught sight of her, standing up from the outside table he had acquired for them. Now that she had a better idea of clothing, Dawn paid close attention to how Gaige styled himself. Today, he wore a rather tight fitted black shirt with a high neck, neatly tailored trousers that most Monstra favoured, and an overcoat in a pattern she lacked the correct vocabulary to describe. Though, nothing drew her eye more than the earrings he chose to wear: in the lobe of his right ear was a small stud, and clear crystals cascaded from his left to brush his shoulder. Overall, he managed to look both unique and gorgeous. Although his delicate features certainly played a factor.

"Did you think I wouldn't come?" She grinned as she took a seat, placing the sketchbook on the table as she looked around at the quiet street. It was early enough and there were not many people around, not many prying eyes either.

"I was cautiously optimistic."

"That's always the best kind of optimism." She nodded her approval. "I presume this will take longer than a single morning, so I am yours for the day."

"I was hoping you'd say that." Gaige said with a smile, appearing more relaxed in her presence now that she asked him to be less formal. "Still haven't inherited your princess duties?"

"If I have any to begin with." She scoffed, thinking of how little Zyire seemed to accomplish on a day to day basis. "What is the plan for the day?"

"Well, we will need to speak to the tailor about the designs and whether or not they can be accomplished." He said, listing each objective with the count of his fingers. "Then he'll take your measurements, show fabric samples, and find your complimentary colours."

"That sounds intense."

"Oh, and then comes the jewellery! Though, just by looking I can tell gold is your colour as silver would definitely wash you out." Dawn didn't have a clue what Gaige was rambling about, but she still listened intently. "We should also visit the cobbler for shoes, I notice that you have worn the same pair of boots since I first saw you."

How had he noticed? "They are all I own in regards to footwear."

Gaige seemed horrified at the thought. "Today, we will change that."

"Are you hungry?" Dawn asked, slightly worried that the boy still looked too thin. While Gaige possessed a naturally willowy frame, the skin on his face was much too sunken in for her comfort.

He seemed sheepish, casting his gaze away. "A little, I think I'm still recovering."

"You would be." Dawn pulled out the coin pouch from her pocket and handed it to the boy, watching the way his eyes widened at how full it was. "Here, choose something from the cafe."

"Where did you get all of this?"

"The King was all too happy to hear about our little excursion today and wants to offer his full support." Dawn smiled at him, placing the pouch directly in his hands when he didn't take it. "Go get something to eat."

Gaige nodded as he rose. "I'll be right back, would you like anything?"

"I ate recently with my sister." Dawn watched as he went inside and chose a pastry for himself, feeling an odd sense of satisfaction that she hadn't felt since her time as a Venturer when she managed to put food on the table. Then she sighed and rubbed her temples, her mood swings were too conflicting to keep up with.