27: Strangers

The journey back to the Eastern Territories was a lengthy one, but luckily the girls had no issues crossing between the borders of the west and east. They had managed to bypass the south now that they were further up the country.

It had been a few days since their entanglement in the alleyway and, so far, they were treating it much like the last time they had kissed. Neither girl acknowledged that it had happened, and that seemed to be the preferable option to both of them. Dawn certainly did not want to closely analyse what had transpired. She knew that she was in desperate need of a distraction and Syrena just happened to be there. She used her to her benefit, nothing more nothing less. Plus, she was not so proud to admit that Syrena was an excellent kisser. As the Venturer was certain that she had stolen the Monstra's first kiss on that platform, she was curious to know why Syrena was so good. Was it simply down to luck, or was she simply too overwhelmed whenever they kissed for her to notice the intricate details? Not that she was complaining, not one bit.

As they cleared yet another hill, Syrena quickly stepped in front of Dawn, shielding her as Monstra stepped into view, suddenly joining them at the top as though they had materialised from thin air. At least that would explain the grim look on the Commander's face for the past couple of minutes. Clearly she had heard them approach but, on such open plains, there was nowhere for them to hide.

The pair of Monstra appeared to be a civilian couple, both dressed for a leisurely stroll within the countryside rather than the fierce Protectors that they were expecting to cross paths with. Not that it mattered, Syrena was the Commander and they would be forced to obey now that they were back in the East.

"It's the Commander!" The female Monstra exclaimed, skin shimmering a brilliant shade of topaz. "What are you doing so far from the kingdom?"

"Confidential business for King Zyire." Syrena responded, back stiff and straight as she faced the pair.

"We have just come from there." The male said, arm tightening around the waist of his partner. "We're visiting our friends in Western Territories, we've heard...oh!"

Curious as to what had caught his attention, the female Monstra spotted Dawn hiding behind the Commander. The Venturer did not miss the way their eyes widened, viewing the phenomenon before them. "You travel with a human?"

"Oh, um, yes I do." Syrena stumbled, still unmoving from her position. There was no use in denying this fact when Dawn was so clearly on display.

"And she's your life partner! No wonder you were so quick to protect her, you must've faced such horrors!"

With a stiff smile, Syrena had to fight back her protest. "Truthfully, we have."

"Oh, you poor thing!" The female exclaimed as gave Dawn a look of utmost sympathy. "Here, take my cloak."

Dawn froze, staring at the Monstra in confusion as she unfastened the ruby red cloak from her person. As the Monstra held it out towards her, the Venturer could not move in her confounded daze.

"What?" She choked out, unable to fathom what was happening.

"Do you not want it?"

"She does." Syrena spoke for her, thanking the Monstra as she received the cloak on Dawn's behalf before she could retract her offer. "We have not encountered many of our kind who are so accommodating to humans."

"Oh, that explains her surprise." The female nodded in understanding, glancing at her partner. "Since our King married a human, we endeavoured to do our research on them. What marvellous creatures they are! It is an honour to meet you, Dawn."

"You're welcome?"

The couple laughed, eyes brightening in their jovial delight. Even Syrena cracked a smile, unused to Dawn appearing so befuddled. It was mildly amusing to her how Dawn was able to face Monstra when they held malicious intent, but was rendered stunned when met with kindness.