17: The Four Rulers

Two days had passed since Dawn and Syrena had left Monrya, both girls refusing to speak of anything other than what they had discovered in the library. As their destination lay northwest of where they were, that meant they had quite the distance to cover if they wanted to reach their mysterious location that may or may not prove to be what they were searching for. Summer was steadily drifting into autumn, the warm air and green leaves celebrating their final days of glory before they were to change.

"From here onwards we will need to be extra cautious." Syrena warned as they cleared another hill, this part of the land being particularly uneven.

Dawn, who was ever so slightly out of breath from the exertion, looked towards her companion who appeared as though she wasn't struggling in the slightest. Damn monster and her inhuman abilities. "Why is that?"

Syrena pointed towards an invisible separation. "We're crossing the border between the Eastern and Southern Territories."

"So there is a ruler for the north, east, south and west of this country?"

"Zyire is the king of the East." The Commander nodded as they continued trudging downhill, something Dawn did not hesitate to relish. "If there are more outside of our land then we do not know them."

"And these other rulers, are they friendly with your kingdom?" The Venturer asked, wondering just how far Zyire's protection extended away from his kingdom. "If, by any chance, we are captured, will they accept a pardon from Zyire?"

Syrena took a moment before answering, and Dawn did not care for her hesitancy. Clearly the answer to her question was that it sorely depended on the whim of the rulers at the time. "The West is agreeable and frequently meets with the King, so I would hope she would be amenable to our cause."

"And the South?"

"The South less so."

Drawing a sharp breath, the Venturer scanned the horizon, as though she could see the potential threat that lay ahead. "That's highly concerning considering we have just stepped foot over the boundary. Less so in what way?"

"She does not like the King, and believes him to be mad and unfit to rule."

"Well, that is a fair assessment for those who do not live within his walls."

Turning her head, Syrena gazed at Dawn with a grave expression. "The Southern Queen does not take kindly to trespassers on her land either, and has been known to punish those she catches."

"How unfortunate for both parties that we must travel across it then." The Venturer dragged a hand down her face, not liking the sound of the journey ahead of them. "At least our destination lies to the west."

"Yes, but it will take a considerable amount of time to clear the Southern Territories."

"Can you tell me something positive? This conversation is far too dreary for my tastes. Tell me something other than our potential doom."

Syrena's brows furrowed as she struggled to think. "The scenery is nice."

At that, Dawn laughed; a high and jovial sound. "Yes, I suppose it is."

"You're laughing at me."

"Not at you."

Syrena huffed, facing the horizon once more and dutifully ignoring the girl beside her, despite Dawn's protests.

There wasn't much to do on this stretch of land. It was barren of any signs of civilisation, and if the waist length grass was anything to go by, it had been for a while. Dawn ran her hand along the tips of the blades, the grass bending and swaying beneath her gentle touch. It hadn't rained for a while, and the flora seemed to be suffering greatly for it.