28: Battle Lines

Dawn was practically invisible under the cover of nightfall, and she stuck to the lesser known paths as a precaution. She still did not yet have an excuse for her month long absence, but she ought to think of one fast. Perhaps she could have fallen ill, or had discovered a new training routine that required solitude. Either way, it would have to be pretty convincing.

One set of footsteps crunched against the fallen leaves instead of two and the girl was surprised at how much she had grown used to having someone by her side. It was almost unnerving now walking alone, despite being in the safest territory she could possibly hope to traverse in. She was home at last; except she wasn't. The forest felt strange now that she had seen a portion of the world. Despite the enemies and beasties she had encountered along the way, she couldn't deny that her heart longed for the glorious views and rolling hills she had been subject to. Like caves, she had had enough of forests too. Alani was indeed right, the forest was too small for her. Over the month she had been gone, Dawn had outgrown the familiar paths and safety of Kings Grave and now longed for the world she could not have. This was a foolish longing, but Dawn was no stranger to those.

While she once again felt like a caged animal, she couldn't deny the eagerness of seeing her sisters once more. The thought alone propelled her forward, pushing her to break out in a run towards her cabin. It was a long distance between the western border and her family, but she made quick work of it, feet flying across the familiar paths to what she called home.

She felt like weeping when the cabin came into view, feeling as though she was in a dream. Dawn had not allowed herself to think too much about her heartache of leaving Rose and Freya behind while she had been away in favour of both focusing on the task at hand and sparing herself; but that time was over now. As she climbed the ladder and opened the door, Dawn sank to her knees under the weight of her relief. She had survived, and she was seconds away from being reunited with the ones she cared for most.

A creak from the hallway caused her to stand, coming face to face with an arrow pointed directly at her person.

"Stars above, Dawn! You scared me half to death!" Rose shouted as she relaxed her weapon, dropping the bow and allowing it to clatter to the floor. "I thought you were an intruder!"

Despite having her life threatened yet again, Dawn beamed. "Have I changed so much over the course of a month?"

"Shut up and get your ass over here." Rose demanded, opening her arms as Dawn collapsed into her. The Venturer gripped her best friend tightly, and Rose did the same, fingers digging into her back as though she couldn't quite believe that she was real and standing before her. "Welcome back."

"Thanks." Dawn mumbled as she pulled away, closely examining her friend to ensure she was still in good health. "Where's Freya?"

"On northern patrol, she isn't due back for another week."

"Oh." Dawn's shoulders slumped, not bothering to hide her disappointment.

"Am I not enough for you?" Rose teased as she sat at the table, patting the seat next to her before kicking it out for Dawn to sit.

"Nowhere near it."

"Good to have you home." The Watcher smiled lopsidedly as she propped her chin up in her hand. "So, tell me all about it."

"Now?"

"Duh, I've got nothing better to do."

"No patrol or paperwork tomorrow?"

"Nope, it's my day off."

"Ah, so I won't see you until you wake at dusk."

"Precisely, so you may as well tell me now."