𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈 ; 𝒔𝒏𝒖𝒇𝒇 that girl

𝐬𝐧𝐮𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥

𝐬𝐧𝐮𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥

The experimentation with the first person to withstand Other had gone on for what felt like forever to the young child.

It was relentless, and by the time the day of experimentation was finished, the girl was so tired she'd be knocked out if not for the fear crawling up her body. Every time her eyelids droop they would snap right back open, and it would be a relentless cycle but her will not to sleep wasn't so easily put off during this time.

She was still so young and fragile, as was her mind witnessing horrors not even adults would ever bear witness to.

The death she had witnessed, suicides at glance of all sorts no matter how brutal, but the responsibility still felt burdened on the child's shoulders.

It wasn't fair.

But sleep was unavoidable at the rate they were working her, and it was like knocking the side of her head hard enough to put her out.

Screaming.

She was so tired that not even her screams could wake her, and if not for the precaution the around-the-clock the clock restraints on her wrists, ankles, and sometimes even her neck to prevent the fate of other hosts that were driven mad. As a result, crescent indents appeared in her palm often layered in dry and fresh blood from the relentless sleeping.

They also prevented that outcome because of another thing.

What she gave was reflected back, and the nightmares were strong enough to drive people to find a way out no matter if it smothered their hearts in the process. That kind of toll fell right back on her, and she didn't have a choice in the matter.

However, it was the first time Other had taken any sort of liking to a host, and because of this, they wanted to keep her. They couldn't have her going insane like the others, but the experimentation on either of them wouldn't allow the child to rest.

Other, for the first time ever, offered to sleep for her, and it would not be the last time they used such methods.

With only her mind able to rest, she kept her sanity but lacked any actual rejuvenation of energy. Asumi, most nights before they switched, would stare at the blank ceiling that had been memorized by every scratch and mark.

Her body, even though it was burdened with two souls, felt so empty. It was a void that surrounded her, a cold one at that.

She felt so alone.

Weren't the heroes supposed to come for her?

But the hope had dwindled, a growing flame snuffed out.

☯︎

The resurfaced memory faded as she was shoved through the warp gate, stumbling out and only barely catching her balance even with her arms bound behind her–something Shi had done as she walked her toward the gate.