Family Splash

"We're taking a picnic trip to Khandala."

The second Rajesh let it slip, the bus kicked into gear, and a surge of surprise had everyone on their feet in an instant."

"What a picnic!"

"How could that be?"

"What's this nonsense out of the blue?"

"Why Khandala? Were there not more desirable places for a picnic?"

"A picnic? That sounds good to me."

Following Rajesh's revelation to the family, a medley of reactions reverberated through the bus, creating a symphony of noise.

Sanjay was delighted with the plan and returned to sit beside Anjana.

"Anju, Rajesh has been making me proud lately, but today he outdid himself with this well-planned family outing. It's exactly what we needed."

"That's true; I agree. But why are your grandchildren acting so unruly towards my son? They seem to be in quite a frenzy," Anjana remarked, gesturing towards in front of her where the grandchildren were vying for their father's attention for different reasons.

"Dad, seriously, Khandala for a picnic? Are we elementary school kids who will get excited to go to places like Lonavala and Khandala for a family gathering? Couldn't you plan somewhere like Singapore or Malaysia?" Kunal said.

He feigned irritation, but as he continued to voice his high-maintenance demands, his siblings grew increasingly frustrated. They were staunchly opposed to the idea of this picnic.

"Shut the f**k up." The trio yelled in unison and smacked him altogether.

"Why should I..." Kunal attempted to protest, but Rajesh interrupted him.

"If you have a penchant for international travel, tie the knot and explore the world with your spouse on your honeymoon. As for me, a brief bus ride is more within my means. So, kindly step aside. Who's up next?"

Kunal had more to say, but Aneri swiftly rose and gently tugged him back to his seat.

"Can't you just be content with what you have? Enough with the demands," she urged, hushing him.

Rajesh turned to the rest of the three, who were nagging to go back.

"Dad, you can't spring an out-of-town trip on us like this. Turn the bus around," Shamita declared.

"As a doctor, I can't simply take off without proper arrangements. I have to go back," Shivangi stated.

"Mr. Kundrra, I'm swamped with pending tasks. I can't just take leave without proper planning," Vicky stated.

"Dad, they're all making valid points, and I stand with them. Please turn around and head back immediately."

Leading the group, Karan was the one fueling their reluctance. Even though he had no significant obligations on his agenda, he was steadfast in his refusal to embark on an unplanned out-of-town excursion.

Amidst all the chaos and clamor, only two individuals remained in peaceful slumber: Tejasswi and her daughter Saanjh.

"This won't fly. I'm your dad, so don't try to be clever with me. Get back to your seats," Rajesh asserted with authority.

The three siblings, including Vicky, fought in protest, raising their voices in a collective demand. The cacophony grew too intense, jarring Saanjh's peaceful sleep and prompting her to cry.

Within a heartbeat, her cries grew piercing, startling Tejasswi from her slumber and leaving her irritated by the racket created by Karan, Shamita, Shivangi, and Vicky.