three.

three. the chapters we never got to write

New York - 1965

You were dancing with a random man. The Beatles really knew how to put on a show. The craze was so high in the audience that no one even noticed when you sank your teeth into your dance partner's neck. You drank deeply, still swaying to the music. You had compelled him to stay quiet. You pulled away, scrapping your tongue on your fangs before kissing him, letting the blood pool in his mouth. His puncture marks healed quickly.

"Thanks, honey," you said before looking into his eyes. "You won't remember this."

He didn't say anything as the compulsion took effect. You walked away, not wanting him to continue touching you. For some reason, you never liked it, when men touched you. You did what you had to do when you were feeding, but never more than that.

"He was cute," a voice suddenly said next to you as you reached the edge of the audience. You looked over and saw a blonde girl beside you.

"Excuse me?"

"The guy you were feeding on, very cute," she said. Your eyes flashed. She had seen you. She smirked at you, leaning in. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. Though," she reached up and wiped a bit of blood off your chin before sticking her thumb in her mouth, licking the blood off. "You should be a bit more careful."

You laughed. You'd been careful for 900 years. "I think I know what I'm doing," you said to the vampire.

"I'm sure you do," she said. "I'm Lexi."

"Y/N," you said carefully. You didn't like to meet new people often. You knew it was dangerous, especially when you were on the run. You weren't sure what you were running from though, and so, it always made it hard to know what to be on the lookout for. But she seemed—friendly. Something about her was inviting. Like you knew she'd be an ally.

"Nice to meet you," she said, looking back at the stage. "So you're a Beatles fan?"

"They're good," you said. "And their shows make for good hunting grounds."

"It's the serotonin," she said, smirking at you. "Something about it makes the blood oh so sweet, even sweeter than fear."

You nodded, agreeing with her.

"You from around here?" she asked.

"No," you said simply. She seemed friendly, but you didn't know her.

"Me neither," she said. "I've seen you around. Maybe you can show me some of the good spots you've found? I'll show you mine."

"Why?" you asked her suspiciously.

"You seem like you could use a friend," she shrugged.

"I don't," you said.

"Okay, so maybe I need a friend," she said. "My idiot best friend left me to go help his idiot brother."

"So compel yourself a friend," you said.

"That's not as much fun," she said. She nudged you with her arm. "Come on, I'm nice. I'll even buy you a drink."

You rolled your eyes. "Fine. One drink."

• • •

You and Lexi grew closer than you thought you could in the months that she stayed with you. She turned out to be a very good friend. You hadn't realized how lonely you'd become until she was with you almost all of the time. You had spent years on your own, but something in you told you that that wasn't normal, not for you. You knew it was because you needed to stay hidden, that there was danger coming for you. But you had a feeling that that had always been the case. Only now, you were facing it alone.