twenty.

twenty. and i will break these chains for you

When you walked into the Lockwood Mansion, the party was in full swing. Caroline had texted Elena, telling her about the change in venue before she left with Matt. You weren't sure where Rebekah was. She had been so excited for the dance, her first dance ever. And Damon wasn't coming until later, but you had been sent ahead of time, to distract Klaus you were told. You would play your role in the plan. You didn't really have another choice, after all.

Caroline suddenly appeared in front of you, grabbing your arm. "You're here, thank God," she said. "Listen, Klaus is here."

"I know," you said. This party seemed exactly like something he'd throw, especially when he heard the news about Mikael. It reminded you a bit of the parties you used to throw in New Orleans. Lavish and grand and outrageous. It had been such a magical time, dancing under the twinkling lights with Niklaus. You winced as you felt a sharp pain in your head. "This isn't a party. It's a wake."

She looked at you in surprise. "It's weird how in sync you guys are. He literally just said the same thing before you walked in."

"I've known him a long time," you said, looking around.

"And you will know me longer still," Klaus was suddenly in front of you, smirking. "Hello, love. Come to celebrate the good news?"

"That's my cue to be anywhere else," Caroline said, looking at you. "You gonna be okay?"

You nodded at her and she left. "You moved rather quickly," you said, looking around the party.

"Yes well, you know how long I've been waiting for this day," he said, looking you over. "You look absolutely ravishing, love."

"Thank you," you said, knowing you needed to keep the conversation going to keep him distracted. "You cleaned up pretty nice too."

"Did you get my voicemails?" he asked. "I never heard back from you. You aren't upset with me, are you? You know why I didn't take you with me."

"I'm not upset," you said genuinely. You didn't feel anything really. It wasn't the same as turning off your emotions, more like a detachment from the events. You knew what was coming ahead, but your mind just couldn't react to it.

He looked at you for a moment, trying to decipher if you were telling the truth. "Did he...did he hurt you before they killed him?"

You didn't respond. You couldn't. You had been ordered not to mention Mikael to Niklaus. Even when you opened your mouth to speak, no words came out. Klaus seemed to think your silence was born of fear because he put his hand on your cheek comfortingly. "I shouldn't have left you," he said softly. "We no longer have to fear him, love. He can't hurt you anymore." You just nodded, knowing there was nothing you could say.

You looked around the party. "Should we rejoin the festivities?"

He smiled and grabbed your hand. "Yes, it is a celebration after all."

He led you to the backyard. You didn't recognize most of the people here, and they looked too old to be high schoolers. You saw a few of them watching Klaus, as if on guard and you realized what they were. "You found more werewolves then?" you asked.

"I found a few packs along the way," he smirked at you. "They won't hurt you, love. Seems the sire bond thing is actually a hybrid thing." He pulled you over to a beer pong table. "Tony, this is my girl, Y/N. Say hello."

"Hi," you said as he nodded at you. Klaus' hand on yours tightened as he looked sharply at you. "What?"

"You didn't correct me when I called you my girl," he said slowly.