ten part one.

ten part one. and so it begins

Elijah was staring at you as you walked into the library. Stefan and Elena were already there. Elena looked at you with sympathy in her eyes.

"Morning," you said, sitting down on the couch beside Elijah.

"Hey Y/N, are you okay?" Elena asked.

"I'm fine," you said firmly.

"I can't believe he tried to do that," she said.

"I don't really want to talk about it," you said. In truth, you were still angry. You weren't fine. You felt betrayed and hurt, but you'd had a lot of practice handling Klaus' temper tantrums. You knew how to push it down when needed. You looked towards Elijah. "What were you guys talking about?"

"Ah yes," Elijah said. You could see his clenched hands, but he knew you well enough to not say anything on the matter right now. "As I was saying, tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse."

"Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...He'll be a true hybrid," Elijah said.

Damon walked in and you looked away. You could feel his gaze on you for a moment before he looked at Stefan. "Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie," he said.

"Damon," Stefan started.

"No," Elena said. "Bonnie can't use that much power without dying."

"I'll write her a great eulogy," Damon said.

"It's not an option, Damon," Elena said firmly.

"All right, how do we break this curse?" Stefan said.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward," Elijah said, his glare at Damon deadly. "The ingredients, so to speak, you already know."

"The moonstone," Stefan said.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone," Elijah said. "After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena asked.

"The final part of the ritual," Elijah said standing and walking over to the shelf. He turned back with a wooden box in his hands. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger...to the point of your death."

Elijah opened the box and took out a jar as Stefan took Elena's hand. You'd seen that jar before, the elixir he'd gotten from the witches. So long ago, it could have been the key to avoiding all of this. If Katherine knew her life would be saved, would she have run? If you hadn't been petty in your hatred of her, would Klaus have let Elijah give it to her?

"And that's where you come in," Elena said.

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation," Elijah said.

"So I'll be dead?" Elena asked.

"And then you won't," Elijah said.

"That's your plan?" Damon scoffed. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans," Elijah said.

"Last I checked, she is human," Damon said.

"Elena, the doppelgänger's a supernatural occurrence," you said. "Odds are, the ring won't work."