four.

four. hidden in these walls are memories i can't forget

Authors Note: This is gonna be set in Mystic Falls now unless otherwise stated. Thanks for reading!

It had been centuries since you'd last come to this land, centuries since you'd sworn you would never return. Long before Mystic Falls had its name, long before even this country existed, you had been born on this land. You had lived and died here. It held good and bad memories for you. It was the place you and Nik had fallen in love. It was the place he had promised you forever. But the weight of your existence felt heavier in the place you should have been buried centuries ago.

And yet, here you were, pulling into the Salvatore Boarding House, because your friend called for help. You had seriously debated changing your number and forgetting Damon ever existed. But you remembered how you were after you found out the truth of your past. You'd gone on a rampage with your humanity off. In almost a thousand years, it was the first time you had abandoned your humanity. But the truth had been too much for you, the heartache too stifling. You had racked up a death toll to rival Damon's.

That was when he found you, broken and lost and angry. He'd stayed with you for only a few months, but in that time, he had brought you back to yourself. He had forced you to turn it back on. He didn't know the troubles you were carrying, but that was the great thing about him. He didn't need to. He was still there. You needed to return the favor.

The door opened before you could knock. Damon smirked at you, leaning against the doorframe. "I knew you couldn't resist this face," he said.

You ignored him. "Where's my invite in?"

"It's just Stefan and I these days," he told you as he stepped aside, letting you in.

"Didn't you have a human relative that kept this house for you?" You asked as you walked in, looking around.

"Not anymore," he said vaguely. His tone made you think he had something to do with that.

Another vampire walked down the stairs. You assumed it was Stefan, thought him you'd never met. "Hey, you must be Y/N," he said to you. "I'm Stefan. I've heard a lot about you."

"I wouldn't believe everything Damon says," you said.

"I usually don't," Stefan said.

"Well, that's not very nice," Damon said. "I only told him the nicest parts of you. Well, I left out a bit of info on the nicest parts."

You rolled your eyes. "You're still disgusting," you said.

"But you love it," Damon smirked.

"So thanks for coming to help," Stefan said.

"Hm and what am I helping with exactly?" you asked, following Damon as he led you to the library. You sat down as he poured you a drink. It was a little early in the day, but you couldn't say no to good bourbon.

"Damon said you're over 900 years old," Stefan said, sitting down across from you.

"You're not supposed to ask a girl's age," you sipped your drink. "But yeah, I am."

"Have you heard of the Originals?" he asked.

You tensed. "What about them?"

"So you have," Damon watched you. "That's good, because we're about to have an infestation."

"And we thought maybe, given your age, you could help," Stefan said. "Maybe something you've learned over the years? Something that can help us survive?"