forty.

times have changed

Under the warm glow of the restaurant's dim lighting, Sonny and Moon sat across from each other

Under the warm glow of the restaurant's dim lighting, Sonny and Moon sat across from each other. Today was their one year. Sonny glanced at the food plated in front of them, while Moon offered a smile that Sonny thought could outshine the moon itself.

"Can you believe it's been a year already?" Moon asked, drawing Sonny's eyes away from the food in front of them and instead to her girlfriend. Her voice was a mixture of wonder and affection, as she took in the sight of Sonny.

Sonny chuckled, running a nervous hand through the ends of her hair. "It feels like just yesterday you were all blushing and nervous to talk to me in math class." Moon continued.

Sonny laughed, her face heating up at the memory. "God, I was so nervous. I stayed in class like... three minutes after the bell rang because I was in so much shock that you talked to me." Sonny admitted, sticking her fork into her fettuccine alfredo. Moon's response was to reach across the table, her hand finding Sonny's free hand. "Well, I for one, thought it was really cute. I told Yasmine and Sam all about you that day at lunch."

Sonny's head fell, the blush on Sonny's face growing more by the second. How did she not know about that? Moon just smiled watching Sonny flustered before she pushed the small gift on her side of the table, towards Sonny. "Open."

Curiosity piquing, Sonny sat up and grabbed her gift from Moon. As she set the gift in her lap, Sonny sued her other hand to push her gift for Moon towards her. Sonny opened her gift first, revealing a small necklace with the moon on it. Sonny laughed, her smile uncontrollably wide. "I love it." She said through her laughs.

"Why are you laughing?" Moon asked, not sounding hurt, but confused as Sonny put the necklace on. Once the jewelry was on, Sonny grabbed Moon's hand and kissed her knuckles. "Open your gift." She responded. Moon squinted, a confused smile growing. Nonetheless, Moon started to open her gift. After a couple seconds, Moon gasped in excitement, pulling the gold necklace with a sun on it out of its wrapping. "Oh my God." She whispered through her own laughs.

She smiled up at Sonny across the table from her. "It's perfect, baby." She said as she put the necklace on.

Dinner passed in a blend of laughter after that. As they left the restaurant, the night led them to Sonny's job, the two of them wanting to play mini-golf and head to the arcade. Their playful rivalry came to life, with each putt and swing, their laughter mingling with the evening breeze.

"Looks like all those Miyagi-Do skills are good for something after all." Sonny teased after earning herself a hole-in-one. She twirled the club in her hands, moving to the side so Moon could go. Moon rolled her eyes playfully. "Show-off." She retorted.

Their playful banter continued as they made their way to a crowded arcade. Side by side, the two of them tackled game after game, from skee-ball to racing to air hockey, the tickets they were earning only piling up.