14. Hiruzen and the Elders

Y/n

some days later

I sat down on an isolated convenience store's outside benches as I couldn't muster up the courage to face everyone in the village so have been avoiding crowds. People were quick to recognize me.

Well, how wouldn't they? I was infamous in multiple ways. But to see me become the opposite of what I was, how did they?

The past few days have been a drag. Going for my tests for a doctor's degree, checkups for my health and helping the owner of Ichiraku Ramen with the sprouts. Resting was not an option. I put my head on the table, staring at the glass bead inside the soda bottle.

I lifted my head and felt a sudden gust of wind pass by, stopping on my left. I recognised the perfume before looking up at him as his eyes were fixed in front. I followed his eyes and saw three kids with stones in their hands. "Itachi..?"

He let go of the grip and a stone clinked against the pavement, I stared at it, turning back to the kids. Did they aim this at me?

"O-oi, who is this intruder? We never saw her here before! Why is she here?" I sighed at their remarks. "You're bothering our sisters! Who are you!?"

"what..?" I was bothering someone..?

I turned to Itachi, seeing him sigh. "Leave or your parents will be hearing about this," I watched the kids let go of the stones, scoffing. After some while, they left giving me a cold stare.

This interaction sparked a question within me, am I not welcome? I remained quiet, and Itachi took a seat in front. "Are you okay? These kids are known for their mischievousness. Forgive them please," He softly said.

"I didn't mind from the beginning," I answered shortly, falling back into my thoughts. I stared at the bubbles inside the soda bottle, losing myself somewhere. This village felt lonely.

I was always busy here and there, and at the end finding myself in my huge apartment. It was a constant loop of the same thing every day. Itachi being here was the only new thing in the last few days.

"Y/n.." My eyes travelled up, "Hmm?" I raised my eyebrow as I hummed. He didn't say anything in the following moments and gazed into my stare. It was not awkward by any means, just oddly comforting. My eyes welled up, suddenly making me look away. He caught onto my feelings and sighed, "Knew it.." He said. I hid my face, slowly crying in my palm.

It was lonely and cold everywhere. I had no one to talk to. Kakashi was not back from the mission, the only person I knew. Shisui was too out on missions here and there, and Itachi had a break to enjoy. I couldn't bring myself to bother anyone.

I wipe the tears away, tucking my hair behind my ear. I was embarrassed to show him my face after having a breakdown. "Can you ride a bike?" He asked, making me look up at him as his head turned around. I looked behind him, seeing the bicycles he was meaning.

"I can,"

"Alright..Wait here," He said, getting up and going inside the store. The surroundings got cold, making me look up at the sky. It was getting cloudy, the afternoon sun was no more there.

"Which ones would you like?" Itachi came out of the store with the storekeeper as he had keys in his hands.

"Come and choose, y/n," Itachi said, as I got up, confused.

I turned to the bike that stood one by one. I was drawn towards the red and black one. I pointed at it as the storekeeper nodded with a smile and unlocked it from the chain that had it secured. "Choose one for me too," Itachi asked, as I stood beside him giving the keeper some space to separate the bike.