Ch 26

The drive to the Emerald Halls, where the auction was going to take place took not less than 30 minutes

Just as Xavier had warned her there were a lot of reporters outside the events.  All throwing questions at all of them the moment they stepped out of the car

"How does it feel to get married to a multi-billionaire?"

"Did you marry him solely because of his money or do you love him truly?"

"Is there anything you want to share with the public Xavier Garcia"

If not for the guards who did a good job leading them through, Amelia would have died from the the awkwardness.

While walking through the crowd, Xavier suddenly slipped his hands around her waist, pulling her closer, then he whispered.

"You are giving yourself away with that tense look on your face my love"

This is when she realized and quickly put on a smile but it was hard due to the feelings she had developed from his hands wrapped around her waist

On getting to the hall, unlike other guests who had to show invitation cards, they let Xavier and her enter without saying a word. One of the guards even gave him a slight bow. He really did hold a lot of power. More than she thought

On getting inside the hall, wealth. It screamed nothing else but old money.

Everybody present worth nothing less than a million dollars. Well apart from her. She worth only about 200$. If not for Xavier, her real worth would have shown

"Ladies and gentlemen, gather around, the auction is about to start" a voice was heard.

Xavier smiled at her pulling her closer with his hands tightly wrapped around her waist. His closeness confused her reasoning. His scent, his skin on her made her want to scream.

Why did he have such an effect on her?

The first item was rolled out.  It was a red gem placed on a pillow which was protected by a thick glass

"The first item to start the ceremony is a 20-carat Ruby. One of the rarest precious stones in the world. The bidding ceremony will start with this, do well to make the crowd know your worth" the middle-aged man spoke, with every word that rolled out of his mouth screaming expense.

"You'll start" Xavier leaned close to her.

Her eyes widened as she stared at Him, already aware of what he meant. "I don't fucking know anything about bidding asshole" she shot out in a whisper.

"We learn every day"

"You can't do this to me Xavier. Who the hell is going pay"

"Except you have over 5 million dollars in your bank account, then don't even think of paying darling"

"That doesn't even make it any better"

"Good for you then," he smirked, taking a sip from his glass and Amelia just stared at him too stunned to speak.

Just when Xavier had finished speaking, an old man raised his bidding card and the tension began building up inside her.

"I million dollars," he said

"For a 20-carat ruby?" Xavier asked with a scoff, while Amelia looked at him confused

"1.5 million dollars" a lady not too far from them shouted, raising her bidding card. Her sharp red lipstick was quite evident. It gave her a 1960 look.

"Yes, 1.5 million dollars, anyone else?!" the auctioneer asked and Amelia shuddered. The thought of raising her card, declaring a prize that she had never thought of having for a lifetime made her shake.